Personal Statement length question

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
ducky

New
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:01 pm

Personal Statement length question

Postby ducky » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:55 pm

I read somewhere that it is best to keep your personal statement to two pages double spaced. However, I am having a difficult time incorporating all I want to say in to two pages. All the schools that I want to apply to so far say that the personal statement should be three pages. I don't know if I should make it three pages or if having it that long would hurt my chances in any way.

lawfuture10

Bronze
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:19 pm

Re: Personal Statement length question

Postby lawfuture10 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:58 pm

ducky wrote:I read somewhere that it is best to keep your personal statement to two pages double spaced. However, I am having a difficult time incorporating all I want to say in to two pages. All the schools that I want to apply to so far say that the personal statement should be three pages. I don't know if I should make it three pages or if having it that long would hurt my chances in any way.


If the school says 3 pages, 3 pages is what they want. Follow the instructions of the school and you'll be fine.

ducky

New
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: Personal Statement length question

Postby ducky » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:37 am

lawfuture10 wrote:
ducky wrote:I read somewhere that it is best to keep your personal statement to two pages double spaced. However, I am having a difficult time incorporating all I want to say in to two pages. All the schools that I want to apply to so far say that the personal statement should be three pages. I don't know if I should make it three pages or if having it that long would hurt my chances in any way.


If the school says 3 pages, 3 pages is what they want. Follow the instructions of the school and you'll be fine.


thanks:)

spece212

New
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 6:39 am

Re: Personal Statement length question

Postby spece212 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:15 am

My personal experience says that if you restrict yourself to 2pg double-spaced, it forces you to develop the most precise story and eventually makes it the most compelling story you want to tell.
My first draft was 3 pages but after some brutal but valuable iterations on TLS and with friends/family, I got it down to 2 pgs double-spaced. I found the final product to far more coherent and gripping than the longer version.

ducky

New
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: Personal Statement length question

Postby ducky » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:26 pm

spece212 wrote:My personal experience says that if you restrict yourself to 2pg double-spaced, it forces you to develop the most precise story and eventually makes it the most compelling story you want to tell.
My first draft was 3 pages but after some brutal but valuable iterations on TLS and with friends/family, I got it down to 2 pgs double-spaced. I found the final product to far more coherent and gripping than the longer version.


well I might do that too. I posted my second draft on tls. Please, please edit if you ever get the chance.



Return to “Law School Personal Statements�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.