GPA Addendum... your thoughts plese

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
colorando

GPA Addendum... your thoughts plese

Postby colorando » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:25 pm

Here is my GPA addendum, rough draft for application next cycle.
I'm most interested to see if people think that there's too much info, or if there is a better way to link all these ideas. Another thing I didn't put in there is that when I was in school, being involved in the non school things I talk about (and there are more) really appealed to me more than the ivory tower. Not sure if this would ring well with admissions people, as so much of LS is still theory (but more theory with application)

I would like to comment on my GPA in order to give the admissions office a clearer picture of my candidacy. During my years in college, I worked hard and constantly challenged myself but I do feel there are contributing factors that aren't accounted for in this numerical representation of my undergraduate years. First of all, I consistently sought out challenging classes, frequently without completing the prerequisites, as I wanted to be engaged in as many different perspectives as possible. This meant skipping courses that had a level of redundancy with others I had completed, and earning a lower grade than I would have received if I had taken the easier requirement. (Include list of classes?)
Secondarily, I was employed in a professional capacity for the duration of my time in college. This job was demanding in terms of time, and it required weekly continuing education. My busiest time for work also coincided with finals, and I would generally prioritize my tutees need for meaningful feedback on their papers as opposed to studying for my own finals. I was also consistently involved in on campus as well as off campus programs, such as serving as an assistant teacher in nearby middle and high schools. Finally, since graduating college I have been diagnosed with ADD. I have sought treatment, which began with my preparation for the LSAT, and I believe my results on the test are a good indication of my capabilities since this diagnosis. Also, I believe that the unique schedule of my college was much more challenging for me before treatment than the semester schedule of law school will be now that I have had more than a year to adjust to the challenges of ADD.

*last bit of info* my college really did have a very unique system. We did the "block plan" where one class is taken at a time, 4 each semester, each class for a month at a time. Which I will find out about from my law advisor if this is something that the school will learn about

pixytree

Re: GPA Addendum... your thoughts plese

Postby pixytree » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:31 am

colorando wrote:Here is my GPA addendum, rough draft for application next cycle.
I'm most interested to see if people think that there's too much info, or if there is a better way to link all these ideas. Another thing I didn't put in there is that when I was in school, being involved in the non school things I talk about (and there are more) really appealed to me more than the ivory tower. Not sure if this would ring well with admissions people, as so much of LS is still theory (but more theory with application)

I would like to comment on my GPA in order to give the admissions office a clearer picture of my candidacy. During my years in college, I worked hard and constantly challenged myself but I do feel there are contributing factors that aren't accounted for in this numerical representation of my undergraduate years. First of all, I consistently sought out challenging classes, frequently without completing the prerequisites, as I wanted to be engaged in as many different perspectives as possible. This meant skipping courses that had a level of redundancy with others I had completed, and earning a lower grade than I would have received if I had taken the easier requirement. (Include list of classes?)
Secondarily, I was employed in a professional capacity for the duration of my time in college. This job was demanding in terms of time, and it required weekly continuing education. My busiest time for work also coincided with finals, and I would generally prioritize my tutees need for meaningful feedback on their papers as opposed to studying for my own finals. I was also consistently involved in on campus as well as off campus programs, such as serving as an assistant teacher in nearby middle and high schools. Finally, since graduating college I have been diagnosed with ADD. I have sought treatment, which began with my preparation for the LSAT, and I believe my results on the test are a good indication of my capabilities since this diagnosis. Also, I believe that the unique schedule of my college was much more challenging for me before treatment than the semester schedule of law school will be now that I have had more than a year to adjust to the challenges of ADD.

*last bit of info* my college really did have a very unique system. We did the "block plan" where one class is taken at a time, 4 each semester, each class for a month at a time. Which I will find out about from my law advisor if this is something that the school will learn about

Cut the first paragraph--it makes you sound like you make bad decisions and bite off more than you can chew.

Your addendum needs to be more focused. You change subjects without properly explaining anything, but you also give unnecessary details. It honestly sounds like you're giving excuse after excuse and none of them are compelling. Instead of saying you put others needs before yours you can say that you worked fulltime during school which impacted your work. Despite a full course load and fulltime work, you were still committed to educating youth and those commitments impacted your studies as well. I juggled these things while also dealing with ADD symptoms, which I was diagnosed with and sought treatment for following college.... Obviously, you'll need to word it better than I have, but the general idea is that you explain your situation while still presenting the image of a responsible student. If there's a upward trend in your gpa, you should be sure to mention that as well. PM if you want help with editing.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”