Help!! Advice on adding personal info. Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Dotson525

New

Help!! Advice on adding personal info.

Post by Dotson525 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:17 pm

I need advice on how to add this personal info into my statement.

A year ago my mother opened credit cards and committed check fraud within my name.
If fees were not paid, my mother and I faced criminal charges.
I had to put law school on hold and pay. She refused to pay, said they could wait.
Family has had a history of this.
Had to make one of the biggest decisions in my life: report her to authorities, though against family wishes
Realized from this situation I was able to withdraw myself personally. Viewed and resolved
Knew I wanted to be a lawyer since eight, but had small doubts (ability). Now certain have the ability.

Using this within my personal statement to display an obstacle that I overcame.

Any advice helpful! Thanks!

Leira7905

Bronze

Re: Help!! Advice on adding personal info.

Post by Leira7905 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:30 pm

Dude, honestly, I think that's PS gold! You'll definitely stand out in the applicant pool, plus it shows honesty and integrity on your part. Granted, it'll be hard to spin turning in your own mother in a way that won't make you sound too self-interested, but as long as you can properly relay the fact that your intentions were solid, I think it works.

Also, what was the result? Did mom forgive you? Has she changed her ways?

Dotson525

New

Help!! Should I add this in personal info.

Post by Dotson525 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:55 pm

After going through 3 dectectives, finally was able to make a report (2 didn't want to deal with, because it was family). No she didn't forgive me. Though, has not tried again. Thanks for input :)

Oh, if anyone feels that this situation should not be added, please do tell
Looking for all advice

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:59 am

It should be added. Reminds me of the people who call into the Dave Ramsey show....

Dotson525

New

Post by Dotson525 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:39 pm

Ok, I am now incorporating my thoughts (that occured during the situation, which lead to me reporting her).
The following are thoughts:

1. Afraid of this occuring again, and affecting my attendance to law school. (not her first incident with fraud).
I am concerned that this view might come off as self-absorbed.

2. Knew it was wrong, she should be accountable for actions. Would feel this way concerning anyone else.

3. Finally, through this circumstance discovered had the ability to make such a difficult decision putting personal interest/relationship aside. (Family argreed with mother, thought what I did was disgraceful)

Any thoughts? I'm especially worried about the first thought.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:55 pm

Just put you didn't rack up $20,000 in credit card, so why the hell should you pay it. SHe is ruining your financial future. Your ability to get a home loan, student loan, a car. She is ruining your chance to get a job w/ bad credit.....

You had no other choice. Plus, if she can get away with this, the next time might be $80,000. Then you're really in trouble.

Leira7905

Bronze

Post by Leira7905 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:30 am

Dotson525 wrote: 3. Finally, through this circumstance discovered had the ability to make such a difficult decision putting personal interest/relationship aside. (Family argreed with mother, thought what I did was disgraceful)
I think you should focus on this point. Try to illustrate how you were torn between how turning your mother in would affect your familial situation and the fact that what your mother had done was illegal and could damage your future, specifically your future as an attorney... Something along those lines.

But try to end it on a positive note, saying something like, "Even though it was difficult, I know I made the right decision for myself ...yada, yada, yada....overcoming my upbringing." Then say something about how this experience reinforced your desire to go to law school....

kublaikahn

Silver

Post by kublaikahn » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:53 pm

Dotson525 wrote:I need advice on how to add this personal info into my statement.

A year ago my mother opened credit cards and committed check fraud within my name.
If fees were not paid, my mother and I faced criminal charges.
I had to put law school on hold and pay. She refused to pay, said they could wait.
Family has had a history of this.
Had to make one of the biggest decisions in my life: report her to authorities, though against family wishes
Realized from this situation I was able to withdraw myself personally. Viewed and resolved
Knew I wanted to be a lawyer since eight, but had small doubts (ability). Now certain have the ability.

Using this within my personal statement to display an obstacle that I overcame.

Any advice helpful! Thanks!
Would be a good PS topic. Also a great HBO mini-series. Are your family members Travelers?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”