using essayedge.com or tls

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
iheartkennypowers

using essayedge.com or tls

Postby iheartkennypowers » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:27 pm

hey all,

so in looking over the personal statements section of this site i have an inquiry.

so basically i want feedback and help in order to improve my personal statement, but am wondering if it is generally better to use essayedge.com (as it seems to be endorsed by this site and i am willing to pay for it) or to use the tls community for feedback.

i ask because, although the people on this site are obviously knowledgeable and will no doubt help with the personal statement process, i am not fond of the idea of having numerous different conflicting opinions on areas of improvement for my personal statement,

what do you think??

rinkrat19

Re: using essayedge.com or tls

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:29 am

It depends.

If you're already a good writer and just need some tweaking and cleanup, TLS is totally qualified. (I posted my near-final essay here and got basically one solid suggestion, plus confirmation that the rest was ok.)

If you're not a strong writer but don't mind having your essay ripped apart and edited (probably with a liberal sprinkling of snark) in public, TLS will at least get you started.

If you're not sure if your essay is going in the right direction at all, TLS is a great place to get overall reactions on topic, tone and style.

If you need hand-holding through several drafts, you might luck out on TLS and catch the attention of a proofreader with some spare time, but you'd be guaranteed the attention you need by a pay service.

I haven't seen much in the way of 'conflicting opinions' on TLS. Usually TLSers tend to agree on what is good and what is bad. Different people will always edit and write differently, but that's the beauty of having 25 TLSers look at your essay for free--you can get a variety of suggestions to choose from. With a pay service, you're getting one person's opinion.

Personally, I'd try TLS first. If you aren't satisfied with the results you get, you can always go the EssayEdge route later.

MrPapagiorgio

Re: using essayedge.com or tls

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:34 am

rinkrat19 wrote:It depends.

If you're already a good writer and just need some tweaking and cleanup, TLS is totally qualified. (I posted my near-final essay here and got basically one solid suggestion, plus confirmation that the rest was ok.)

If you're not a strong writer but don't mind having your essay ripped apart and edited (probably with a liberal sprinkling of snark) in public, TLS will at least get you started.

If you're not sure if your essay is going in the right direction at all, TLS is a great place to get overall reactions on topic, tone and style.

If you need hand-holding through several drafts, you might luck out on TLS and catch the attention of a proofreader with some spare time, but you'd be guaranteed the attention you need by a pay service.

I haven't seen much in the way of 'conflicting opinions' on TLS. Usually TLSers tend to agree on what is good and what is bad. Different people will always edit and write differently, but that's the beauty of having 25 TLSers look at your essay for free--you can get a variety of suggestions to choose from. With a pay service, you're getting one person's opinion.

Personally, I'd try TLS first. If you aren't satisfied with the results you get, you can always go the EssayEdge route later.

You would do well to follow this information.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”