Cheers, mate

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
paulinaporizkova

Re: The only PS about evolution you will ever read...

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:48 pm

Mad_Twatter wrote:.

Your tar&name are UK Skins references! I love you!!

donzoli

Postby donzoli » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:00 pm

It sounds like you lacked the curiosity to read the chapter on evolution yourself and were incapable of self-education. Then it took until college to finally open your eyes or whatever.

kublaikahn

Postby kublaikahn » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:38 pm

Finally someone with the balls to say they believe in evolution. I love your PS. Don't change a single word. Sign it and send it.

rose711

Postby rose711 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:04 am

Somewhere in here OP asked if I was a scientist - yes, my UG degrees are a double major Biology and Chemistry. My law studies I focused a bit on environmental law but I since moved into biglaw corporate. And my husband is a physics professor at a major university, so I am around scientists a lot. :)

Right now, I am on a leave of absence because of personal and family issues that make it easier to take time off. My firm is really supportive and expects me back, but not working sucks. So in my boredom, and having friends who are applying to LS or looking for jobs, I ended up in this forum. Probably, TBH, I don't really belong here. Though I have tried to be helpful and supportive to people, I am probably going to peace out by the end of this weekend.

Having said that and seen the reaction here to people using the word "theory" in the context of science, but not as a scientist uses it...I'm not sure what to tell you. You don't want to get into a discussion of the use of the word "theory" in your PS. Unless you can get it in as a part of a sentence - it doesn't add too much to the heart of your PS. I was worried that a scientist might read this PS, but perhaps that isn't likely.

Good luck

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:12 am

rose711 wrote:Somewhere in here OP asked if I was a scientist - yes, my UG degrees are a double major Biology and Chemistry. My law studies I focused a bit on environmental law but I since moved into biglaw corporate. And my husband is a physics professor at a major university, so I am around scientists a lot. :)

Right now, I am on a leave of absence because of personal and family issues that make it easier to take time off. My firm is really supportive and expects me back, but not working sucks. So in my boredom, and having friends who are applying to LS or looking for jobs, I ended up in this forum. Probably, TBH, I don't really belong here. Though I have tried to be helpful and supportive to people, I am probably going to peace out by the end of this weekend.

Having said that and seen the reaction here to people using the word "theory" in the context of science, but not as a scientist uses it...I'm not sure what to tell you. You don't want to get into a discussion of the use of the word "theory" in your PS. Unless you can get it in as a part of a sentence - it doesn't add too much to the heart of your PS. I was worried that a scientist might read this PS, but perhaps that isn't likely.

Good luck

I'm a scientist myself, and I disagree with your interpretation. I'm not going to argue about the nuances of the term, but the quotation he used is a common phrase in the culture war, has nothing to do with the scientific definition, and illustrates the environment he grew up in really well. Nowhere else in his essay does he use the word "fact" to describe evolution. He could definitely tone down the evolution theme and use phrases like "sound biology" instead, but there is nothing in that essay that a scientist should find inaccurate.

rose711

Postby rose711 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:17 am

d34dluk3 wrote:
rose711 wrote:Somewhere in here OP asked if I was a scientist - yes, my UG degrees are a double major Biology and Chemistry. My law studies I focused a bit on environmental law but I since moved into biglaw corporate. And my husband is a physics professor at a major university, so I am around scientists a lot. :)

Good luck

I'm a scientist myself, and I disagree with your interpretation. I'm not going to argue about the nuances of the term, but the quotation he used is a common phrase in the culture war, has nothing to do with the scientific definition, and illustrates the environment he grew up in really well. Nowhere else in his essay does he use the word "fact" to describe evolution. He could definitely tone down the evolution theme and use phrases like "sound biology" instead, but there is nothing in that essay that a scientist should find inaccurate.

Awesome. I'm sure OP and you have or will have this one locked down. I'm sure OP will do great!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”