LGBT DS- first draft

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
gin

LGBT DS- first draft

Postby gin » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:59 pm

Thank you all for the help...I will make those changes
Last edited by gin on Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

too old for this sh*

Re: LGBT DS- first draft

Postby too old for this sh* » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:14 pm

The last paragraph seems a little over the top. It would almost seem that a better way to stand out would be to approach it from the standpoint of becoming a lawyer who happens to be gay as opposed to being a gay lawyer looking to crusade for a cause...not that what you wrote about are not noble causes, but they carry the potential to come across as contrived.

Working in the criminal defense realm, I see a number of people who have issues with the law and who are simply more comfortable with a lawyer who won't get the heebie-jeebies when they find out their client is gay or lesbian. They will go out of their way, however, to find someone who is not looking to trumpet the client as some cause celebre. The same holds true with other areas of law (I get hit with lots of questions in the community because of the work I do and because I did previously date one of the parties in a recent high profile same-sex divorce case in Texas).

The risk one runs with being the gay lawyer instead of the lawyer who happens to be gay is that you get shoved into the category that you are only interested in one demographic as a client. Unless that is truly your intent, it may be worth taking another look at the statement...

There are also some grammatical issues in there that you need to look at (especially the use of 'been' instead of 'being' in the second paragraph, third line).

gin

Postby gin » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:20 pm

cool thanks. that is one of the issues i was struggling with. do you have any suggestions on how to answer "how I can make a contribution to the community" part

too old for this sh*

Postby too old for this sh* » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:46 pm

gin wrote:cool thanks. that is one of the issues i was struggling with. do you have any suggestions on how to answer "how I can make a contribution to the community" part

what type of law do you REALLY see yourself doing? And yes, I know that is often a difficult question for people that have never really had exposure to the day-to-day work in courtrooms and law firms, but it still could be key to what might give a good answer.

gin

Postby gin » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:27 pm

too old for this sh* wrote:
gin wrote:cool thanks. that is one of the issues i was struggling with. do you have any suggestions on how to answer "how I can make a contribution to the community" part

what type of law do you REALLY see yourself doing? And yes, I know that is often a difficult question for people that have never really had exposure to the day-to-day work in courtrooms and law firms, but it still could be key to what might give a good answer.
right now I work for an ambulance chaser and I am 100% sure this is not what I want to do. I've been thinking of International, Intellectual property, employment, helthcare or medical between others. I know it's very broad (and I'm afraid this school is seeing me as too wishy washy) but I've told them that I want to keep my options open

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:24 pm

The last paragraph is weak. You state that you do not know what part of law you would like to go into, but then your first two paragraphs are about gay rights and so I'd assume you would go into gay rights! Then you talk about "something more appealing." Why would you spend the first two paragraphs talking about the low number of gays in law and the fight for their equality, then say, "I might find something more appealing." It sounds like you don't care for gay rights, but are trying to use your gay status as an advantage. If you really care about gay rights, there is NOTHING MORE APPEALING. Advancing their cause is what you were born to do.

At the end of the paragraph, you talk about being involved in gay rights. I don't believe one second of your willingness to support the LGBT community. If you are going to help the LGBT community, then back it up with facts. What have you done thus far for the LGBT community in spite of being a member of it?! Were you in Washington DC for the rally? Do you volunteer at the Trevor Foundation? Come correct. If you are going to help gays, then you need to demonstrate that this is a logical next step for you. Your essay does not do that.

You sound wishy-washy too. You might have several things that interest you, but in terms of your application, just pick one that would sound reasonable based on your background. It makes sense that an engineer would go into IP or a social worker go into public law.

Perhaps you can take a different angle. You're gay. You spent high school being teased, you can't get married, you probably didn't kiss your first boy until college, you support gay marriage, Transgenders in the workplace is no problem for you, etc. Your viewpoint on these topics is probably different from the southern boy in rural Arkansas. Perhaps you speak to this. Gays might be underrepresented in law, but so is their voice, so is the person who cares about these issues and topics. Perhaps you speak to this versus saving gay's in Uganda, which sounds far-fetched.

esq

Postby esq » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:40 pm

^ I agree. Your essay leads one to believe that you are going to law school to further the the cause of gay rights. It doesn't really matter if you end up practicing a in a different capacity, but if you want to make this statement clear you should end by stating that going to law school = better ability to advocate for the gay community. If you are scared that the adcomms will hold it against you if you don't ultimately achieve this goal don't be, they wont hold it against you if you ultimately go in a different direction.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”