Personal Statement is "Off-Topic?" Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
HOPEFORCHANGE

Bronze

Personal Statement is "Off-Topic?"

Post by HOPEFORCHANGE » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:17 pm

I've read some of your personal statements and I have already submitted my apps and my personal statement really didn't focus too much on law school, which a lot of the ones posted here do focus on (wanting to be a lawyer and why for a lot of the statement). My PS mostly focused on my mother dying of cancer recently and how helping her in her final days changed me and strengthened my desire to help others through the legal system. Is this really bad because I wrote about three sentences about law school? The apps are already out and I have law office experience which is on the resume I submitted to all of the schools, so I just wanted to introduce myself and my worldview and drive to help people in my PS.

Ignatius Reilly

Bronze

Re: Personal Statement is "Off-Topic?"

Post by Ignatius Reilly » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:18 pm

No

hds2388

Bronze

Post by hds2388 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:19 pm

HOPEFORCHANGE wrote:I've read some of your personal statements and I have already submitted my apps and my personal statement really didn't focus too much on law school, which a lot of the ones posted here do focus on (wanting to be a lawyer and why for a lot of the statement). My PS mostly focused on my mother dying of cancer recently and how helping her in her final days changed me and strengthened my desire to help others through the legal system. Is this really bad because I wrote about three sentences about law school? The apps are already out and I have law office experience which is on the resume I submitted to all of the schools, so I just wanted to introduce myself and my worldview and drive to help people in my PS.
you are fine. worry not.

HOPEFORCHANGE

Bronze

Post by HOPEFORCHANGE » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:21 pm

Cool, thanks guys.

cubswin

Silver

Post by cubswin » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:25 pm

HOPEFORCHANGE wrote:I just wanted to introduce myself and my worldview and drive to help people in my PS.
Ignatius Reilly wrote:No
I had to do a double-take to make sure it wasn't Ignatius Reilly who was talking about his worldview.

As for OP: your topic of wanting to "help others through the legal system" is not nearly as original as you think it is. You will be fine.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HOPEFORCHANGE

Bronze

Post by HOPEFORCHANGE » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:28 pm

I just meant that I didn't talk much about law school or law or my career in my PS
cubswin wrote:
HOPEFORCHANGE wrote:I just wanted to introduce myself and my worldview and drive to help people in my PS.
I had to do a double-take to make sure it wasn't Ignatius Reilly who was talking about his worldview.

As for OP: your topic of wanting to "help others through the legal system" is not nearly as original as you think it is. You will be fine.
. I talked about one experience - my mother passing away and how I took care of her and how that changed my naiive "wanting to change the world and help" perspective to one that actually facilitates change.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:06 pm

HOPEFORCHANGE wrote:I just meant that I didn't talk much about law school or law or my career in my PS
cubswin wrote:

. I talked about one experience - my mother passing away and how I took care of her and how that changed my naiive "wanting to change the world and help" perspective to one that actually facilitates change.
A PS being well-written is a eleventy times more important than mentioning law school in every second sentence.

In fact, a lot of essays I've read that focus a lot on law/law school end up sounding silly, because the writer has not yet been to law school, and usually doesn't actually know what they're talking about.

Ignatius Reilly

Bronze

Post by Ignatius Reilly » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:22 pm

some people belive that it is better to not write about why you want to go to law school

HOPEFORCHANGE

Bronze

Post by HOPEFORCHANGE » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:33 pm

Well, one thing I can say about it for sure is that it's not boring. I have read some of those personal statements where I am skimming down for ANY interesting part or my eyes just start to glaze over. I know that's one of the top ten tips, "Don't be boring!"

Anyway, thanks, I will let you know if I get accepted or not. I felt it was a bit of a risk writing about it at that time, but I truly do want to be a humanitarian. I just think life is pointless otherwise - so that's why I wrote what I wrote.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”