How to ask a law school for scholarship $$ in your PS?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
dec_failure

How to ask a law school for scholarship $$ in your PS?

Postby dec_failure » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:58 pm

I'm applying to a law school that's fairly expensive, but known to be quite generous in handing out scholarships. This is pretty much my safety school and last resort, and I wouldn't attend the school unless they offered me a pretty generous scholarship. Does anyone know how I could go about asking for the money in my personal statement? My stats are above the school's median, and I will most likely have better options. Is this not a good idea? Again I would only attend if they offered money, and I want to say (something along the lines of) I'm interested in your school because of the financial aid typically offered, and if admitted, I hope to recipient of a generous scholarship to fully commit myself to your program? If anyone can help me out I'd really appreciate it.

vanwinkle

Re: How to ask a law school for scholarship $$ in your PS?

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:59 pm

The only accepted method for requesting $$$ is with your above-median GPA/LSAT.

Explicitly asking for $$$ before you're even accepted? LOL no.

jeremysen

Postby jeremysen » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:02 pm

lol dont do it

dec_failure

Postby dec_failure » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:05 pm

lol so can I vaguely say in my statement that lastly I'm interested in this law school (after citing a lot of genuine reasons), because of the large amount of scholarships and potential financial aid you use to help out your students. passive but gets to the point comment? lol

MCRemix

Postby MCRemix » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:21 pm

Dont do it. Stun them with your credentials and then if/when they send you a scholarship package thats under what you're looking for, negotiate them up. Otherwise you come across as bordering on arrogant.

Dont get me wrong, I know the feeling with at least one school I'm applying to, but dont negotiate pre-acceptance.

dec_failure

Postby dec_failure » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:43 pm

you're right. For whatever reason, if they send me an acceptance without a scholarship package, can I negotiate or ask for some assistance then?

MCRemix

Postby MCRemix » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:28 pm

dec_failure wrote:you're right. For whatever reason, if they send me an acceptance without a scholarship package, can I negotiate or ask for some assistance then?

I've heard of it being done and I'll probably do it myself this spring. The bottom line is that you are a prize and they need to give something up to win you. But you want to be a humble prize, be polite and dont negotiate until the time is right. Once they commit to you by accepting you, then you can mention that you really want to go there, but that you'll need more financial assistance to do so. Once you've hooked them (post acceptance), then you can play hard to get politely.

Plan2008

Postby Plan2008 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:36 pm

dec_failure wrote:I'm applying to a law school that's fairly expensive, but known to be quite generous in handing out scholarships. This is pretty much my safety school and last resort, and I wouldn't attend the school unless they offered me a pretty generous scholarship. Does anyone know how I could go about asking for the money in my personal statement? My stats are above the school's median, and I will most likely have better options. Is this not a good idea? Again I would only attend if they offered money, and I want to say (something along the lines of) I'm interested in your school because of the financial aid typically offered, and if admitted, I hope to recipient of a generous scholarship to fully commit myself to your program? If anyone can help me out I'd really appreciate it.

In every transaction, there is a buyer and a seller. Don't be the seller. The buyer has all the power. When negotiating your message should always be, 'I care, but not that much." Find a way that you come across as the buyer, humbly selecting your vendor of choice.

Firework11

Postby Firework11 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:39 pm

Plan2008 wrote:
dec_failure wrote:I'm applying to a law school that's fairly expensive, but known to be quite generous in handing out scholarships. This is pretty much my safety school and last resort, and I wouldn't attend the school unless they offered me a pretty generous scholarship. Does anyone know how I could go about asking for the money in my personal statement? My stats are above the school's median, and I will most likely have better options. Is this not a good idea? Again I would only attend if they offered money, and I want to say (something along the lines of) I'm interested in your school because of the financial aid typically offered, and if admitted, I hope to recipient of a generous scholarship to fully commit myself to your program? If anyone can help me out I'd really appreciate it.

In every transaction, there is a buyer and a seller. Don't be the seller. The buyer has all the power. When negotiating your message should always be, 'I care, but not that much." Find a way that you come across as the buyer, humbly selecting your vendor of choice.

That is a good advice. I may have to use that approach when I purchase my first car!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”