UPenn Supplementals

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )

UPenn Supplementals

Postby redsoxfan2495 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:23 am

So... I'd like to send a late app into Penn but first I've got to write one of the supplemental essays listed on the application. My problem is that I haven't got a clue what to write for any of the three. The topics are (1)diversity, (2)a work of art or literature that has inspired you to pursue a legal education, and (3)how a legal education will help you pursue your five year plan after graduation.

1. I am not diverse. I am a straight, white, middle class suburbanite. I am a quarter Lebanese, but you can't tell from looking at me and it hasn't really had much of an effect on my life.

2. This seems like a topic they came up with to bait people into writing hilarious essays. I honestly wasn't inspired to study law by a work of art or literature, so I feel like if I manufactured something it could only be terrible.

3. I haven't got a five year plan.

I can't be the only person who had difficulty figuring out what to write for this. What did other non-diverse, non-art-inspired applicants without five year plans write about?

Re: UPenn Supplementals

Postby qed2011 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:28 am

I ended up doing the art essay and got in. Not that a work of art actually inspired me to go to law school, obviously, but because I'm also not diverse and don't have a five year plan. My undergrad is famous for requiring crazy admissions essays, so it was actually fun to do it again and it sort of endeared me to Penn.
What kind of law are you interested in? What are you hoping to get out of law school? What do you envision the Penn law education to be? Can you translate the answers to any of these questions into a work of art that you know of?
I don't think Penn is looking for a completely serious answer; I think they're looking for a creative, well-thought-out answer. It shows that you've gone above and beyond the normal law school app essay, and have a real interest in Penn.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”