cheers, mate

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )

cheers, mate

Postby Mad_Twatter » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:05 pm

Last edited by Mad_Twatter on Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Should I delve into the truly personal stuff in my PS?

Postby arism87 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:08 pm

Mad_Twatter wrote:Is it worth the risk to talk about the various hardships I've faced in my life in my PS? My life hasn't been that rough, relatively speaking. I have an alcoholic father, an alcoholic step father that I literally watched drink himself to death, and a mother that struggled a bit with alcohol as well. Picking up my mother from jail, after she was arrested for DUI, was the most embarrassing moment of my life.

Should I mention these things in my PS focusing on overcoming adversity? I'm thinking of just using this kind of PS for reach schools (Berkeley and NYU with my 3.8/168).

If these experiences have shaped you as a person and are related to your decision to go to law school, you can probably write a convincing essay on the subject.

Otherwise, I do not recommend writing about it just for the sake of showing you've overcome adversity, even at reach schools. It won't come off as sincere, IMHO.

Re: Should I delve into the truly personal stuff in my PS?

Postby mala2 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:21 am

only if you can write about it in a way that is positive and sincere:) but at a reach school I think it would be better than a boring safe essay

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”