Tying personal experience to law school

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Eyetalian

Tying personal experience to law school

Postby Eyetalian » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:50 pm

My PS is about overcoming a physical obstacle. Nothing about my experience is related to the law or a legal career; the experience did not inspire me to want to go to law school, but I the experience has taught me several lessons and, I think, helped prepare me for law school. Here's my question: does my PS have to explicitly connect my experience to the study of law or why I want to be a lawyer?

Moral_Midgetry

Re: Tying personal experience to law school

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:54 pm

Eyetalian wrote:My PS is about overcoming a physical obstacle. Nothing about my experience is related to the law or a legal career; the experience did not inspire me to want to go to law school, but I the experience has taught me several lessons and, I think, helped prepare me for law school. Here's my question: does my PS have to explicitly connect my experience to the study of law or why I want to be a lawyer?

No, it does not have to explain your motivation for wanting to be a lawyer. The PS just needs to be about you. However, it may be helpful to discuss your motivation as long as you don't come off sounding naive regarding your expectations of the legal field.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”