Question About "Why This School" in Personal Statement

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
b.j.

Question About "Why This School" in Personal Statement

Postby b.j. » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:56 pm

Like many of you, I am sending the same personal statement to all of the schools. My second to last paragraph talks about why I want to go each school. I include a few lines depending on what school the application is for, but the rest is the same. It's generic, yes, but short, and it includes the sort of stuff they like to hear, or so I've read.

One school, Kent, mentions writing about why I want to go there in a separate statement. The thing is, I think what I have now works better. So, should I:

1. Leave it the way that it is
2. Put the "Why Kent" paragraph into a separate statement but don't change it at all.
3. Put the "Why Kent" paragraph into a separate statement but expand it so that it is three to four short paragraphs--in other words, a more traditional essay.
4. Eliminate it altogether.

I'm leaning towards (1), and then maybe (4). (2) makes it seem too short and (3) would probably include way too much fluff.

SigBab

Re: Question About "Why This School" in Personal Statement

Postby SigBab » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:08 pm

Do they REQUIRE this supplemental statement? If so, I'd do it. If it's optional, and you feel you have adequately answered to them in your personal statement, I wouldn't make a separate one. If there's not enough in your ps, you can add, and if it's very little and doesn't tie into your ps otherwise, I'd consider cutting it out and making a separate statement.

I don't think there's a wrong answer here, really.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”