Should I write an addendum?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
JoeShmoe11

Should I write an addendum?

Postby JoeShmoe11 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:58 pm

Hello. I am about to send my apps out but I am considering writing an addendum for the following reasons. My mother has had four children in the past five years and I have contributed significantly to taking care of them. I have spent every weekend and at least two weekdays home, caring for them each week. My GPA is good (3.81) and my lowest semester is a 3.67 so it is hard to point to an exact area that they affected but it did result in me taking an average of 14 credits and having to take 5 years to complete a double major.

Is this addendum worthy? I think it is important for adcomms to know as it is important to me but I dont want to seem like I am milking my family situation.

THANKS!

bk1

Re: Should I write an addendum?

Postby bk1 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:00 pm

I don't think it's addendum worthy considering your GPA doesn't seem like it was affected by it very much.

Maybe try making it into a decent PS?

JoeShmoe11

Postby JoeShmoe11 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:02 pm

bk1 wrote:I don't think it's addendum worthy considering your GPA doesn't seem like it was affected by it very much.

Maybe try making it into a decent PS?

I actually already wrote my PS about something else entirely but I feel this is so important that it needs to be mentioned. I almost feel like making it a diversity statement but I unfortunately do not have the time. Would it be DS worthy do you think?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:06 pm

The way I would contrast this is with parents who raise kids while going to college. That doesn't seem addendum worthy, however this is slightly different as it is your siblings and not kids you chose to have.

This makes me feel like it deserves mention, but in my head any way of writing it as an addendum just comes off as whiny.

It could be a DS I think (if you focused on the child rearing aspect of it), though this would come down to how it was written. But you don't have the time so this point is moot?

Just kind of thinking out loud here.

JoeShmoe11

Postby JoeShmoe11 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:51 pm

bk1 wrote:The way I would contrast this is with parents who raise kids while going to college. That doesn't seem addendum worthy, however this is slightly different as it is your siblings and not kids you chose to have.

This makes me feel like it deserves mention, but in my head any way of writing it as an addendum just comes off as whiny.

It could be a DS I think (if you focused on the child rearing aspect of it), though this would come down to how it was written. But you don't have the time so this point is moot?

Just kind of thinking out loud here.

I came up with the following:

In four full years of college I have completed 114 credits, an average of 14 credits per semester despite the fact that I decided to pursue a second major. This is attributed to significant family obligations on my part. Over the last five and a half years my mother has given birth to four children. I have had a significant part in raising my siblings and have commuted home each week at least three times and spent about twenty-five hours each week caring for my siblings. I have enjoyed the opportunity to watch my siblings grow and have cherished my time with them. It has been well worth the extra year spent in school to enjoy this opportunity. With three of four of my siblings in school this coming fall and the youngest of my siblings now under the care of a nanny, I feel that I have fulfilled my role as a caretaker and am prepared to pursue a legal career.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:33 am

WASTE OF TIME. You have a 3.8. What could you possibly be complaining about?!

You have posted about your statements. It is time you SEND THEM OFF. TODAY. The more you wait and worry about an addendum that you don't even need with a 3.8 gpa, the worse your situation gets.

JoeShmoe11

Postby JoeShmoe11 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:56 am

sparty99 wrote:WASTE OF TIME. You have a 3.8. What could you possibly be complaining about?!

You have posted about your statements. It is time you SEND THEM OFF. TODAY. The more you wait and worry about an addendum that you don't even need with a 3.8 gpa, the worse your situation gets.

Woah relax, I was considering an addendum because my family has had an enormous influence on me in every aspect of life - educationally, socially, and extracurricularly. I thought that it was an important thing to mention to the schools I apply to because it has consumed so much of my time. The addendum is supposed to be used to clarify any holes in one's application adn my involvement in very few extracurriculars and low number of credits every semester is a direct result of my involvement with my family.

CGI Fridays

Postby CGI Fridays » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:57 pm

sparty99 wrote:WASTE OF TIME. You have a 3.8. What could you possibly be complaining about?!
um... "complaining"?
JoeShmoe11 wrote:...but it did result in me taking an average of 14 credits and having to take 5 years to complete a double major.

I think it's up to you, as it's not super common so there doesn't seem to be a standard response.
If you can pull it off succinctly, it might be worth it, as low course load & 5 years might be seen in a negative light otherwise.

If you decide to, your example is a bit more wordy than it needs to be. Just boil it down to "Yeah, I took light course loads & needed five years to finish, but dudez, I was all up in my siblings' bsns!!!"

Edit: on second thought, I vote you go for it. It conveys "this applicant had a ton on his plate, but slowed it down enough so he could still do well in classes." It might make your GPA look even better.

JoeShmoe11

Postby JoeShmoe11 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:16 pm

CGI Fridays wrote:
um... "complaining"?
JoeShmoe11 wrote:...but it did result in me taking an average of 14 credits and having to take 5 years to complete a double major.

I think it's up to you, as it's not super common so there doesn't seem to be a standard response.
If you can pull it off succinctly, it might be worth it, as low course load & 5 years might be seen in a negative light otherwise.

If you decide to, your example is a bit more wordy than it needs to be. Just boil it down to "Yeah, I took light course loads & needed five years to finish, but dudez, I was all up in my siblings' bsns!!!"

Edit: on second thought, I vote you go for it. It conveys "this applicant had a ton on his plate, but slowed it down enough so he could still do well in classes." It might make your GPA look even better.

Thanks for your input, CGIFriday! I am going to rework it right now and hopefully have everything sent out tonight. Thanks for your help with everything.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:18 pm

Not worthy of an addendum unless leading up to an offer of baby-sitting the admissions director's kids.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”