topic on finance Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
icpb

Bronze

topic on finance

Post by icpb » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:25 pm

I come from a finance background, and therefore, to me it seems natural for my personal statement to have a finance bend. Would it hurt me to make it known that I'm interested in business law? I've heard that law schools (T14) like public interest minded applicants. Is that true, and do they dislike finance types? Or, would the path in law I plan to pursue not matter with regards to the application decision?

birdlaw117

Gold

Re: topic on finance

Post by birdlaw117 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:28 pm

icpb wrote:I come from a finance background, and therefore, to me it seems natural for my personal statement to have a finance bend. Would it hurt me to make it known that I'm interested in business law? I've heard that law schools (T14) like public interest minded applicants. Is that true, and do they dislike finance types? Or, would the path in law I plan to pursue not matter with regards to the application decision?
The best idea is to write about something that rings true. If you try to write about how much you want to help people, even though you don't have any volunteer experience or any other public interest-like experience, they aren't going to believe you. If you write about wanting to use your finance background with law, they'll believe that. Go with what fits you best.

verklempt

Bronze

Re: topic on finance

Post by verklempt » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:31 am

birdlaw got it. The worst PS are those where the applicant tries to write what s/he thinks the reader wants to hear. Write from the heart and take ownership of your PS -- that is the only way it will resonate for the reader.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”