Need Help With Personal Statement!! Off with its head

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Y. Grasshopper

Need Help With Personal Statement!! Off with its head

Postby Y. Grasshopper » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:52 pm

I cannot recall the hour or the day, but I do know that it was dusk when the tears finally came to an end. I stared endlessly at the landscape which dominated my rustic hometown of Moncks Corner, SC; abandoned cow pastures guarded by the towering presence of pine tree forests. At the age of ten my best friend Cordero Williams, my brother in every way but blood, passed away from this world. The sudden loss of my friend left a sharp stinging pain that would fade to a strange phantom ache, and finally the moment when acceptance would numb the wound.

Loss is a barren experience, but from this pain something meaningful did grow. The tears washed away the black and white film that clouded my mind—a life built to obtain the perfect little house with the white picket fence no longer fascinated me. As Cordero’s eyes forever closed to the world; I would open mine to seek it.

It comes as no surprise that my curiosity led me to my studies in philosophy. I must admit I found the theoretical debates with classmates and professors, dense text, intriguing scenarios, and detailed research to be somewhat addictive. My second major, economics, proved to be a unique challenge itself: I grew accustom to the sight of students leaving those windowless examining rooms with huge sighs or fits of laughter—neither for relief. Despite their difficulties, I excelled at my disciplines: always placing near the top of my classes. While I loved the analytical vigor of my course work I could not help but feel that there was more that could be done. My scope was too narrow.

I decided to do more than just debate in the classroom—I turned my attention outside its doors. Working with the local law enforcement and several student leaders we were able to create and host a forum about domestic violence; a major issue in my state. In the latter half of my junior year I did several months of research and planning with David Hughes, one of my classmates, and hosted a late night open discussion on the economics of healthcare. Working through the Associate of African American Students we met with the BGLSA and held several forums on sexuality, sexual orientation, and its role in the black community.

The work to assemble these programs was exhausting, but to witness that level of diverse, intellectual, and sometimes emotional dialogue was rewarding. Despite the success of establishing these forums I often wondered could I spend my life debating and discussing issues without finding a way to truly impact those very ideas. Debates are wonderful, forums are illuminating, and both are wonderful catalyst for thought; but they lack the ability to affect change in the lives of people around me.

While working as an editor in my school’s strategic planning department this past year; I have given a great deal of thought about the pursuit of law. I do not see a law degree as a golden ticket to the high life; I am sure there are more secure and less stressful ways to make money. The J.D. is not a degree in “save the world-ology,” but it would allow me to make some significant, marginal difference. The honor of being the first in my family to achieve a graduate degree is an admirable reason to strive for a J.D., yet that is not a major concern. Law school would be an expansion on my analytical foundation, as well as provide a way to make a tangible impact in the community.

The eyes never change in size. While my mind has grown wiser and my body has matured—I maintain the same gaze. I still seek to know the world, and with the backing of a strong legal education I can, in my own way, be of some assistance within it.

Y. Grasshopper

Re: Need Help With Personal Statement!! Off with its head

Postby Y. Grasshopper » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:31 pm

Yay? Nay?

mala2

Re: Need Help With Personal Statement!! Off with its head

Postby mala2 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:38 am

I think it's good in that it follows the arc of experience, change, and what comes next. It's a little dramatic for me, but that's subjective.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”