replacing already-submitted PS with new one? NEED ADVICE Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
cldplayts

New

replacing already-submitted PS with new one? NEED ADVICE

Post by cldplayts » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:13 pm

I applied to 13 schools with one personal statement (I tailored certain paragraphs in each to match the school it was sent to) and now after rereading my PS I have decided that it is unsatisfactory and the reason that some schools have rejected me. I wrote a new, much better PS. Would it be a good idea to send emails to those schools with the new PS, asking them to replace the old one? Some people I have asked said it could hurt, since it essentially concedes that my old PS was not good enough or that there was something wrong with it. Thoughts...

bk1

Diamond

Re: replacing already-submitted PS with new one? NEED ADVICE

Post by bk1 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:15 pm

Are you sure your old PS was so bad that it got you rejected?

This is unlikely to be the case.

cldplayts

New

Post by cldplayts » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:18 pm

bk187 wrote:Are you sure your old PS was so bad that it got you rejected?

This is unlikely to be the case.
Yeah my dad doesn't think it could be the case. And it's probably not. But either way, I think the new PS I wrote is a huge improvement and the question is whether sending it to law schools I have already applied to will increase my chances of admission.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:22 pm

cldplayts wrote:Yeah my dad doesn't think it could be the case. And it's probably not. But either way, I think the new PS I wrote is a huge improvement and the question is whether sending it to law schools I have already applied to will increase my chances of admission.
Unless you are getting dinged by places that you should have gotten in to then I'd say the risk of sending it might be worth it.

Otherwise, the risk just doesn't seem right.

thecynic69

Bronze

Post by thecynic69 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:27 pm

Unless your old personal statement begins with a death threat to the adcom, I'd avoid shooting yourself in the foot like that. In all seriousness, here are the two sides you are balancing:
1) I cannot write well AND
2) I am unable/unwilling to differentiate my crappy writing from my good writing...I didn't care enough about the process to give my essay a read over before sending it in...etc.

It really depends how bad it is. The essay would have to be pretty bad to make option two the better one...and your second essay would have to be SIGNIFICANTLY better. Will you just end up hating your second essay too? Think long and hard about this. You can't unring the number two bell, and it isnt the best bell to have ringing as you apply to schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cldplayts

New

Post by cldplayts » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:31 pm

thecynic69 wrote:Unless your old personal statement begins with a death threat to the adcom, I'd avoid shooting yourself in the foot like that. In all seriousness, here are the two sides you are balancing:
2) I am unable/unwilling to differentiate my crappy writing from my good writing...I didn't care enough about the process to give my essay a read over before sending it in...etc.

It really depends how bad it is. The essay would have to be pretty bad to make option two the better one...and your second essay would have to be SIGNIFICANTLY better. Will you just end up hating your second essay too? Think long and hard about this. You can't unring the number two bell, and it isnt the best bell to have ringing as you apply to schools.
The first one isn't terrible. I don't think I'll end up hating the second one, I feel pretty confident about it. But I do fear shooting myself in the foot by submitting a new one, so I appreciate your thoughts on it.

thecynic69

Bronze

Post by thecynic69 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:43 pm

cldplayts wrote:
thecynic69 wrote:Unless your old personal statement begins with a death threat to the adcom, I'd avoid shooting yourself in the foot like that. In all seriousness, here are the two sides you are balancing:

The first one isn't terrible. I don't think I'll end up hating the second one, I feel pretty confident about it. But I do fear shooting myself in the foot by submitting a new one, so I appreciate your thoughts on it.
Yeah, if the first one isn't terrible, I'd stick with it. The only other variables I can think of are what schools you are applying to (some schools weight the PS more than others) and whether they are reach schools or not (the way you get into reach schools, since your numbers arent quite there, are your non-stat components, like your PS, etc.). Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”