conservative personal statement

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
icpb

conservative personal statement

Postby icpb » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:52 pm

I would like to write a conservative personal statement. I'm not looking to write something that would make me standout or something that would bring adcomms to tears; I probably wouldn't even if I wanted to. Any advice on how I should approach this (other than repeating my resume)?

I would like to clarify that "conservative" isn't meant in the political sense. It's meant as how to play it safe and not wanting the PS to make me stand out. I realize that some great essay can become bad depending on who's reading it. I don't wish to take that kind of risk. Also, let's please leave politics out of this.
Last edited by icpb on Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

d34d9823

Re: conservative personal statement

Postby d34d9823 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:53 pm

icpb wrote:I would like to write a conservative personal statement. I'm not looking to write something that would make me standout or something that would bring adcomms to tears; I probably wouldn't even if I wanted to. Any advice on how I should approach this (other than repeating my resume)?

As in you want to be boring or you want to highlight your fascist leanings?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:58 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
icpb wrote:I would like to write a conservative personal statement. I'm not looking to write something that would make me standout or something that would bring adcomms to tears; I probably wouldn't even if I wanted to. Any advice on how I should approach this (other than repeating my resume)?

As in you want to be boring or you want to highlight your fascist leanings?

This is a more blunt version of what I wanted to ask. It even took me a moment. I was like "wait... which kind of 'conservative' are we talking about here?"

verklempt

Postby verklempt » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:01 pm

You don't have to knock it out of the park. But your PS should demonstrate that you are capable of introspection and mature judgment. It should highlight some of your key strengths (even if you are a total snoozer of a human being, you have some qualities that stand out) and portray you as a decent and caring person. You need to think about your life, your dreams, the events and people that have shaped you and find something that you feel strongly about. If you don't have any passion for your topic, the result will not be anything worth reading.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:03 pm

Be careful. There's nothing wrong with discussing how your political activities have impacted your life, but stating a desire to overturn Roe v. Wade, for example, is probably a bad idea.
Last edited by Cavalier on Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:03 pm

You should include a paragraph apologizing to Arizona for killing their congresswoman.

verklempt

Postby verklempt » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:04 pm

Dunno what you all are learning in school, but "conservative" and "fascist" represent pretty different political ideologies.

icpb

Postby icpb » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:05 pm

I would like to clarify that "conservative" isn't meant in the political sense. It's meant as how to play it safe and not wanting the PS to make me stand out.

krad

Postby krad » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:06 pm

icpb wrote:I would like to clarify that "conservative" isn't meant in the political sense. It's meant as how to play it safe and not wanting the PS to make me stand out.

lolwut!!!

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:06 pm

icpb wrote:I would like to clarify that "conservative" isn't meant in the political sense. It's meant as how to play it safe and not wanting the PS to make me stand out.

This is the wrong approach. If you want to be successful in a competitive field like law, you need to be able to sell yourself. Figure out what makes you a good candidate, and demonstrate that in your PS.

krad

Postby krad » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:07 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:

This is the wrong approach. If you want to be successful in a competitive field like law, you need to be able to sell yourself. Figure out what makes you a good candidate, and demonstrate that in your PS.

This.

The whole point of the PS is to help yourself stand out in a sea of numbers...

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:17 pm

krad wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:

This.

The whole point of the PS is to help yourself stand out in a sea of numbers...

Yeah, if you don't want to sell yourself, then law is really, really the wrong field for you. It only gets worse once law school starts.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:36 pm

Write about what makes you 'you.' What are the first things your friends would identify you with? You can connect almost any hobby or interest or family tradition to 'why I want to go to law school' if you really try. My PS was about playing ice hockey, snowboarding, my UG major, and growing up with granola hippie parents (who mellowed as they got older), and it got me into NU with 'consider' numbers. It wasn't risky or edgy in any way, and I haven't had any huge tragedies or adversity to overcome in my whitebread suburban life. It was just a decently-written, coherent piece about things I love.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:39 pm

I think OP meant to say that he does not want his PS to harm him. OP probably has numbers that can get him in to his desired school, but does not want to ruin his chances with his PS.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:46 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:I think OP meant to say that he does not want his PS to harm him. OP probably has numbers that can get him in to his desired school, but does not want to ruin his chances with his PS.

Coming off as bland and devoid of personality will hurt your chances, IMO. When everyone else is highlighting their strongest attributes, you need to follow suit just to keep up.

WayBryson

Postby WayBryson » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:42 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:I think OP meant to say that he does not want his PS to harm him. OP probably has numbers that can get him in to his desired school, but does not want to ruin his chances with his PS.

Coming off as bland and devoid of personality will hurt your chances, IMO. When everyone else is highlighting their strongest attributes, you need to follow suit just to keep up.

Unless the school he/she is aiming for is a reach, I don't think this advice is accurate. Given many of the personal statements I've read on this forum, the OP could do a lot worse than writing a relatively generic but well-written personal statement. The manic rush to "stand out" has resulted in quite a few personal statements that give a better sense of why someone would not make a successful novelist than they do of highlighting why he or she would make a good lawyer.

OP, if you want to play it safe, then use the old "why I want to go to law school theme"--just make sure you do it well. Write down your reasons to attend (even the boring/common ones). Then write down a couple of your character strengths. Finally, look over your resume and see if you can’t find an anecdote related to some of your stated reasons, your character strengths, and one of the more impressive accomplishments listed (or interesting entrees). It shouldn't be too hard to link that up in two well-structured pages. And of course, make sure that the writing is top notch. I think a lot of people on TLS misunderestimate (is this word in the OED yet?) the power of a clear and concise statement of purpose. Good luck to you.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”