LSAT addendum needed?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Shammis

LSAT addendum needed?

Postby Shammis » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:20 pm

Hoping for some advice...I took the LSAT in October but was very ill. I wanted the opportunity to apply ED but ended up with a 156. I retook in December and got a 163 (my Prep test avg)...should I write an addendum or am I just spitting in the wind?

Shammis

Re: LSAT addendum needed?

Postby Shammis » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:38 pm

nice...

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:41 pm

IMO an addendum here wouldn't really help. The jump isn't astronomical, or anything that a bit more studying couldn't achieved. Saying you were sick the first time would be an unnecessary excuse it seems.

WayBryson

Postby WayBryson » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:56 pm

JenDarby wrote:IMO an addendum here wouldn't really help. The jump isn't astronomical, or anything that a bit more studying couldn't achieved. Saying you were sick the first time would be an unnecessary excuse it seems.

I disagree, but your addendum certainly could come across this way if you aren't careful. A 7 point jump is sizeable, and it might not hurt to give some perspective on it. Why not write the actual addendum and then post it for feedback. It might be a better way of making your mind up as to whether you want to submit one.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:01 pm

WayBryson wrote:
JenDarby wrote:IMO an addendum here wouldn't really help. The jump isn't astronomical, or anything that a bit more studying couldn't achieved. Saying you were sick the first time would be an unnecessary excuse it seems.

I disagree, but your addendum certainly could come across this way if you aren't careful. A 7 point jump is sizeable, and it might not hurt to give some perspective on it. Why not write the actual addendum and then post it for feedback. It might be a better way of making your mind up as to whether you want to submit one.

I suppose it will depends on your addendum, but you will definitely have to be careful with how and what you say so as to not sound like you are making excuses. Writing one and posting it for feedback is going to be your best bet here.

LSATclincher

Postby LSATclincher » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:21 pm

I say yes to an addendum considering the score jump is outside your original score band, and the tests were only 2 months apart. "Illness" is a logical explanation for this.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:31 pm

I will throw in a disclaimer, I am anti-addendum in most situations. :!:

edit: football and beer...silly typo.....

Shammis

Postby Shammis » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:57 pm

I know this took a while to respond to, but thanks for the advice. Im applying to Loyola and they recommend one if the jump is outside the original score band...though it's rather hard to word it correctly...good luck to everyone with your app cycles.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”