Schizophrenia GPA addendum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
ImpatientlyWaiting

Re: Schizophrenia GPA addendum

Postby ImpatientlyWaiting » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:49 am

2Serious4Numbers wrote:The idea just screams columbine.

You are disgusting, insensitive, and grossly ill-informed. You probably don't even know what schizophrenia is. Pack up your hate and leave.

2Serious4Numbers

Postby 2Serious4Numbers » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:39 am

ImpatientlyWaiting wrote:

You are disgusting, insensitive, and grossly ill-informed. You probably don't even know what schizophrenia is. Pack up your hate and leave.

There isn't any hate here, the whole goal of applying is to appease an adcomm and make yourself as attractive a candidate as possible right? Well just as Witorres pointed out, the stigma is a negative one that probably shouldn't be mentioned unless asked about. that's all

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:50 am

Would OP be able to write an addendum saying he was diagnosed with a medical condition without specifying that it's schizophrenia (or a psychiatric disorder at all)?

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:52 am

ImpatientlyWaiting wrote:

As stupid and immature his response might have been,

it highlights why you should not exactly go around telling people this.

Hell, even the court stigmatizes this lest we not forget Buck v. Bell. Alright, pretty dumb example - but it's there in black and white. C&F on the bar is just going to be the gatekeeper - the LS will gladly take your tuition if your numbers reflect their ideal ranges.

gbpackerbacker

Postby gbpackerbacker » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:16 pm

Lwoods wrote:Would OP be able to write an addendum saying he was diagnosed with a medical condition without specifying that it's schizophrenia (or a psychiatric disorder at all)?

This too.

witorres89

Postby witorres89 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:20 pm

gbpackerbacker wrote:
Lwoods wrote:Would OP be able to write an addendum saying he was diagnosed with a medical condition without specifying that it's schizophrenia (or a psychiatric disorder at all)?

This too.

How would you go about writing an addendum without specifying the condition? Wouldn't I have to submit documentation of the condition anyway?

eaglemuncher

Postby eaglemuncher » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:25 pm

IMO you should NOT include this in your application. I think you would be better applying without an explanation for a less than stellar GPA than including that information. I think the stigma your condition carries in too big. Good Luck to you.

Leira7905

Postby Leira7905 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:25 pm

witorres89 wrote:
gbpackerbacker wrote:

This too.

How would you go about writing an addendum without specifying the condition? Wouldn't I have to submit documentation of the condition anyway?

...no, you wouldn't have to submit the documentation for a LS addendum... you would; you may need said docs. for C&F though.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:46 pm

witorres89 wrote:
gbpackerbacker wrote:

This too.

Write it as you would only replace "schizophrenia" with "a medical condition". I don't believe schools would require documentation, but hopefully someone who has written an addendum related to health can chime in.

Curious: how do the C&F questions about health work wrt HIPAA?

Leira7905

Postby Leira7905 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:31 pm

Lwoods wrote:
witorres89 wrote:
gbpackerbacker wrote:

This too.

Write it as you would only replace "schizophrenia" with "a medical condition". I don't believe schools would require documentation, but hopefully someone who has written an addendum related to health can chime in.

Curious: how do the C&F questions about health work wrt HIPAA?

I don't know how it is in other states, but in Texas you fill out a "Declaration of Intention to Study Law" in your first year of LS... this begins the C&F investigation... as part of the Declaration you must disclose the name of mental heath professional who you have seen in relation to any drug/alcohol addiction problems or anything relating to a Psychotic disorder, Bi-Polar disorder or things of that nature for the past Ten Years Then you have to sign an Authorization for Release of information which allows them to acquire your medical records from the named health professionals...

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”