personal statement vs. addendum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
tough_cookie

personal statement vs. addendum

Postby tough_cookie » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:52 pm

I've been debating about whether I should include some very difficult things that I went through during my junior year in my personal statement or an addendum. They are mostly medical issues, but I feel that they have made me a stronger person and shown resiliency.

In the summer of 2009 I was dumped around the same time I found out I had a breast tumor. Consequently, I had surgery a few days later and not long after I had to start a new job.

Fall 2009. I was not only working, but was also a full time college student. It was during this time that I developed a very bad staph infection and tonsillitus. I had to have surgery over Christmas break and was hospitalized as a result. In addition to a tonsillectomy, I was subject to septum surgery and an additional procedure to correct nasal anatomical irregularities.

Spring 2010. I spent a good sixth months recovering from the surgery and dropped 10+ pounds. I was also diagnosed with EDS.

My grades took a real hit during all of this; however, they really weren't too terrible considering that I was incredibly sick! I made several B's.

I've been told that some people don't want to hear a sob story, but I really had to bite the bullet to get through all of this crap and not die in the process. Literally. :x

Thoughts?

LSATclincher

Re: personal statement vs. addendum

Postby LSATclincher » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:36 pm

While unfortunate, this does sound sobby. Now if you've overcome breast cancer, that would be a great story to show resiliency, etc.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:47 pm

e
Last edited by sparty99 on Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:18 am

I agree with the above posters, I would not detail ALL of the medical issues. I think if you stuck to the breast tumor you could get off the same point, without possibly seeming like a hypochondriac (despite all the illnesses being legit). If you can incorporate it in a strong PS, go that direction, if not, consider an addendum. (don't mention being dumped in either. unless your husband left you alone with your 8 children)

tough_cookie

Postby tough_cookie » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:36 am

That seems like a good idea. I wish I was making all of that up, but it all happened at once which I'm sure made it a lot worse.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”