Phi Beta Kappa Chi-Kent with bad LSAT will critique addendum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
chicarda

Phi Beta Kappa Chi-Kent with bad LSAT will critique addendum

Postby chicarda » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:02 pm

3.62 GPA
Phi Beta Kappa & Cum Laude dual major in Political Science and Post Soviet Russian Politics and Student Court Justice for Miami University.

Horrible LSAT's- 143/149

Accepted on early decision to Chicago-Kent (median is 161), not doubt based a lot on my addendum. I'm bored today and I don't mind helping with some advice.

kk19131

Re: Phi Beta Kappa Chi-Kent with bad LSAT will critique addendum

Postby kk19131 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:04 pm

I'm sorry to hear that.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:05 pm

What the hell is Phi Beta Kappa?

Are you are minority?

chicarda

Postby chicarda » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:13 pm

Nope, white kid from the Midwest

It's an honor society, Google it if you wish.

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:15 pm

How in the world did you manage to get those terrible scores - especially since you're a dean's list student?

Did Chicago-Kent give you any kind of scholarship money?

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:20 pm

Congratulations, but this thread was probably a mistake :|

chicarda

Postby chicarda » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:21 pm

kk19131 wrote:How in the world did you manage to get those terrible scores - especially since you're a dean's list student?

I honestly don't know. I scored in the 21% on the ACT and SAT, so standardized tests have never been my strong suite despite my grades.

No on the scholarship money, I've heard they don't award scholarship $ to their early decision students since they already have them bound by contract to attend no matter what. (Also, bad idea listing parents occupation if they're an attorney)

I hope this wasn't a terrible post, I really just want to help people that are as stressed as I was a couple months ago.

chicarda

Postby chicarda » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:33 pm

Now I see the 'mistake'

Inbox blowing up

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:34 pm

Are you afraid you aren't as smart as your peers?

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:36 pm

chicarda wrote:
kk19131 wrote:How in the world did you manage to get those terrible scores - especially since you're a dean's list student?

I honestly don't know. I scored in the 21% on the ACT and SAT, so standardized tests have never been my strong suite despite my grades.

No on the scholarship money, I've heard they don't award scholarship $ to their early decision students since they already have them bound by contract to attend no matter what. (Also, bad idea listing parents occupation if they're an attorney)

I hope this wasn't a terrible post, I really just want to help people that are as stressed as I was a couple months ago.

I don't think that offering help is ever a bad thing.

...I am, however, wondering if you're not concerned about having to pay sticker price for Chicago-Kent.

chicarda

Postby chicarda » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:42 pm

kk19131 wrote:
chicarda wrote:

...I am, however, wondering if you're not concerned about having to pay sticker price for Chicago-Kent.

Actually, I am concerned. I hear Chicago is tough to crack now however, I won Americas Funniest Home Videos a few years back so I'm lucky to have the tuition covered.

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:44 pm

chicarda wrote:
kk19131 wrote:
chicarda wrote:

Actually, I am concerned. I hear Chicago is tough to crack now however, I won Americas Funniest Home Videos a few years back so I'm lucky to have the tuition covered.

:? :shock:

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:44 pm

chicarda wrote:
kk19131 wrote:
chicarda wrote:

Awesome flame bro.

lackadaisy

Postby lackadaisy » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:34 pm

You have Phi Beta Kappa with that GPA? :? I have nightmares that I'm secretly below my college's median GPA and mine is higher. Wow.

I have nothing constructive to add, sorry.

chicarda

Postby chicarda » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:23 pm

The egos on this forum thoroughly crack me up lol

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:43 am

The people on this forum definitely think highly of themselves.....

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:45 am

sparty99 wrote:The people on this forum definitely think highly of themselves.....

For thinking that paying sticker for Chicago-Kent is nonsensical?

Please.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:57 am

(1) "You have Phi Beta Kappa with that GPA? :? I have nightmares that I'm secretly below my college's median GPA and mine is higher. Wow."

--- Elitst

(2) Are you afraid you aren't as smart as your peers?

--- Elitst

(3) How in the world did you manage to get those terrible scores - especially since you're a dean's list student?

--- I didn't know you had to have high LSAT scores to be on the dean's list....Just studying the material and going to class usually does the trick.

Also, I would be concerned with paying full sticker price at ANY law school.

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:01 am

Scoring worse than half the people in the world who take the LSAT is doing terribly.

...Someone who is in PBK and on the dean's list should do better than that.

I stand by my comment. It's not elitist.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:13 am

I didn't quote you under elitist. But you're making a correlation between undergraduate grades and LSAT success. Clearly, for him, the LSAT is not an indicator of how well he can perform in school, so maybe he SHOULDN'T actually do better on the LSAT. Perhaps he's just not good at it.

A lot of people on this board act like the LSAT is THE indicator in regards to how well you will perform in law school and as a lawyer. They provide snide remarks, "You scored a 14*, then you shouldn't even study law!" I have similar testing history as the poster, but yet I scored similar grades to the poster, received similar honors, and worked in a demanding industry (strategy consulting). You would of never GUESSED any of that based on my LSAT or SAT.

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:18 am

you are a level below retard. you are merely a tard

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:26 am

elitist.

verklempt

Postby verklempt » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:33 am

The obsession with the LSAT, on the part of both applicants and schools, is insane! It's one little test that carries way too much weight. It is not really an aptitude test (it used to be, but no more) as proven by the fact that you can study for it and increase your scores dramatically.

I don't know how much law schools care about PS -- we hear various anecdotes -- but I would like to believe that those adcomms pay a little bit of attention to them. And if you don't agree, then why are you even bothering to read the threads on this PS board?

In my MBA adcomm experience, we turned down applicants with 4.0 and 800 GMATs in favor of those with better all-round personality attributes as evidenced by their PS and LORs. Our MBA students were not only smart but had demonstrated soft skills too. Law schools would be far better served, in my opinion, to take the whole-person approach to applicants. Not that I think it's going to happen.

PBK selection, from what I know, is similar in some ways to MBA admissions. PBK doesn't just nominate the students who have the best grades but also looks at the contributions the student has made to the intellectual vitality and social fabric of the institution. Students with demonstrated leadership, students who have taken initiative, students who have gone above and beyond will get elected to PBK ahead of students with perfect academic records.

Some of you have been drinking the LSAC koolaid for so long that you're failing at real world 101.

Generous offer, OP.

lackadaisy

Postby lackadaisy » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:58 am

verklempt wrote:PBK selection, from what I know, is similar in some ways to MBA admissions. PBK doesn't just nominate the students who have the best grades but also looks at the contributions the student has made to the intellectual vitality and social fabric of the institution. Students with demonstrated leadership, students who have taken initiative, students who have gone above and beyond will get elected to PBK ahead of students with perfect academic records.

At my institution, for the most part it's just top 10%. My astonishment was purely mathematical. I didn't know it was different elsewhere. No need to throw around labels like 'elitist' just because they might stick. ;)

chicarda

Postby chicarda » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:39 pm

lackadaisy wrote:
verklempt wrote:PBK selection, from what I know, is similar in some ways to MBA admissions. PBK doesn't just nominate the students who have the best grades but also looks at the contributions the student has made to the intellectual vitality and social fabric of the institution. Students with demonstrated leadership, students who have taken initiative, students who have gone above and beyond will get elected to PBK ahead of students with perfect academic records.

At my institution, for the most part it's just top 10%. My astonishment was purely mathematical. I didn't know it was different elsewhere. No need to throw around labels like 'elitist' just because they might stick. ;)

I should have prefaced that I was elected into Phi Beta Kappa when I had a 3.83 last semester (top 9%), after being elected into the society and accepted into law school my work ethic declined substantially = 3.62.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”