White, Middle Class, Male.

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
bport hopeful

White, Middle Class, Male.

Postby bport hopeful » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:11 pm

What the hell am I supposed to write about?

thecilent

Re: White, Middle Class, Male.

Postby thecilent » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:13 pm

They give you a prompt. HTH

(you in wrong forum)

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:13 pm

I assume you mean for personal statement.

Never had a job or had a meaningful experience in your whole life? Ever?

Also, wrong forum, bro.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:15 pm

1) Wrong forum.
2) If your life has really been bland enough to not have a single thing to write your PS about, you should take some time off and live in the real world.

2Serious4Numbers

Postby 2Serious4Numbers » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:16 pm

as long as you put "some" thought into it, it shouldn't really matter. in the end you are competing with the other 95% of applicants who are also white...middle class... and prob male (maybe, actually). WE, moment of distinction, meaningful stuff really. Through your 22(?) years of existence there has to be one thing you can write two pages about -- stuff that made you who you are/driving you to LS

lawl skool loves numbers - you got them and your set.

mala2

Postby mala2 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:25 am

Hmm, you have nothing interesting in your life? please post a brief biography that might help.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:22 am

I feel ya man. I felt the same way when I was thinking about what to write. I feel like the "I haven't done anything" point of view, for me, came from thinking about what I've done compared to things in the world that are actually important. In other words, I looked at myself as similar to 99% of people in their mid-to-lower 20's who haven't done anything very meaningful in the grand scheme of things. But, instead of that, what you should consider doing is thinking more about things that are or were important to you, personally, and writing about those things instead of the things that you think adcoms might want to hear.

That is, understandably, when you start this process, there are things that you think you should write about due to schools' demographic preferences and the presence of some "super applicants" in the applicant pool that have liberated a few small countries or something like that. But consider that we're all young people (well, mostly). We've gone to high school and college, and maybe held down an entry level job for a bit. Somewhere in there we may have worked in the service industry, played sports, or volunteered. Almost none of us should be able to write a compelling personal statement. But it's a part of the ritual and you're only as good as you personally can be, so focus - inwardly - on things that are important to you and write about them well. Don't worry too much about your background or class identity or race or sex or any of that, at least if they aren't things that you think are important. In this process, all you have is yourself, and that is where your focus should be.

chihuahua12

Postby chihuahua12 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:31 pm

dextermorgan wrote:1) Wrong forum.
2) If your life has really been bland enough to not have a single thing to write your PS about, you should take some time off and live in the real world.

This is irresponsible advice. You don't need "real world" experience to succeed in law school.

But also, figure out why you want to go to law school and write about that. It might take some introspection because "I don't know what else to do" isn't gonna cut it. You're investing 3 years of your life and many thousands of dollars in future earnings - you should be able to come up with a reason for doing so.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”