I've poured my heart and soul into this... can someone read?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
ffonsok

I've poured my heart and soul into this... can someone read?

Postby ffonsok » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:33 pm

I'll pm it to you, i'd prefer not to have it posted publicly. Massive love to anyone who helps me out here- I think I have an outstanding personal statement here.

Veyron

Re: I've poured my heart and soul into this... can someone read?

Postby Veyron » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:38 pm

ffonsok wrote:I'll pm it to you, i'd prefer not to have it posted publicly. Massive love to anyone who helps me out here- I think I have an outstanding personal statement here.

If you tell me what its about, I'll tell you if its worth a read. Just a warning, I'm an extremely good writer (editing was my line of work prior to LS) but I will heap abuse and insults on you for any errors.

chihuahua12

Postby chihuahua12 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:43 pm

I'll read it.

verklempt

Postby verklempt » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:45 pm

If you still need more readers, I can do it. Like Veyron, I'm a professional, but not very experienced in insulting so I usually don't.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:16 pm

verklempt wrote:If you still need more readers, I can do it. Like Veyron, I'm a professional, but not very experienced in insulting so I usually don't.

Blah, I never trust someone to edit my paper unless they are willing to throw a phone at me and call me and idiot. Saves me the time I would otherwise have to spend listening to their bullshit as they try to salve my feelings as well as the effort of reading between the lines in order to figure out what I fucked up.

verklempt

Postby verklempt » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:24 pm

If someone writes a piece that is a total disaster, I'd suggest they start over. Why waste an insult on that? I'd rather save my insults for people who do really heinous things, like cut me off in traffic.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:58 pm

verklempt wrote:If someone writes a piece that is a total disaster, I'd suggest they start over. Why waste an insult on that?

I tried this approach, all ambiguity got me was a stubborn refusal to acknowledge that a mistake had even been made. I quickly learned that people are far less convinced that a mistake had been made when you suggest that they start over than if you scream and yell and carry on for 30 seconds or so about all the awful mistakes in their work that even a third grader would have avoided. It seems like more effort but really it saves time and energy. Now, on those rare occasions where someone was actually willing to acknowledge a stylistic or grammatical error (I tried not to touch spelling with a 10 foot pole) immediately upon my pointing it out unless I had genuinely made a mistake, I was perfectly willing to adopt your approach. Such people are exceptionally rare. Our education system produces people so unprepared to communicate effectively in the English language that they don't even know what they don't know.

I live in a city of over a million people. You would think that our major newspaper would be able to hire good journalists, expectantly given the glut of qualified J school grads looking for a job. Nonetheless, that damn paper frequently runs articles containing improper spelling and grammar, missing words, and omitting key information. Compared to the excrement they put out, this post is a fucking perfection. This sort of conduct goes way beyond an honest mistake but rather demonstrates reckless disregard for the integrity of the English language and obscene disrespect for the role of journalism in a democratic society.

[/quote]I'd rather save my insults for people who do really heinous things[/quote]

Writers like these could take a dump on our state flag and city emblem and do less damage to how others perceive my home. Of course, if a place is being perceived as being full of idiots, that can have a real economic impact when companies are deciding where they want to conduct operations. In the great recession, this might mean the difference between local firms having enough business to hire my ass or my having to practice somewhere or being unemployed. The journalists who cause this sort of harm don't deserve to be politely corrected but rather should have heavy objects hurled at their faces and receive tongue lashings to the point of tears. The only reason that such embarrassments went into this line of work is because people like you have been reviewing their work since grade school so they think they are super smart and special and the reason they still have jobs is because management is to forgiving to can their asses. Long have I fantasized about marching down to their headquarters and giving everyone there a solid piece of my mind. I guess its not really their fault though, just a symptom of a sick society more concerned with peoples' feelings than results.

P.S. Yes, I mad. It really pisses me off that people don't treat writing as something worth yelling about. The only way that many people can be shocked out of complacency is through a bit of harshness. It may sting a bit in the short run but saving people from a lifetime of slovenly thinking and ineffective communications is going to do them an incredible amount of good in the long run. Its worth noting that when a client's interest is threatened by poor writing many law firm partners snap and yell at the drop of a hat.

[/quote]like cut me off in traffic.[/quote]

I prefer to have my cake and eat it to.
Last edited by Veyron on Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RMUDelicious

Postby RMUDelicious » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:13 pm

pm it to me and I'll read it over

mala2

Postby mala2 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:33 am

I'll read it, I'll pm you mine when I'm done

StateSchoolSplitter

Postby StateSchoolSplitter » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:16 pm

Sure thing (college paper staff)

kcdc

Postby kcdc » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:13 pm

I'll read it also

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”