Substance Abuse PS

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Lawquacious

Re: Substance Abuse PS

Postby Lawquacious » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:05 am

OP, it sounds like you made up your mind, so congrats on that. I decided the same thing on mine last year- to play it safe- and I am reasonably pleased that I did.

Again, I tend to agree with sentiment against using this topic, but don't think it's a categorically terrible idea. The one non-URM Yale Law admit I know of who got in on a 160 flat LSAT (documented in NYTimes) I believe used her past heroin use as a primary theme of her bestselling book (obviously the book factor is not present in this case that I am aware of, but the point is that this applicant's major risk in publicly sharing her sordid history seemed to pay off big time). So there are always exceptions, and sometimes recovery stories- if told appropriately- can be quite engaging and touching. We are talking about a 'personal' statement after all, implying some degree of personal choice in what to share and some degree of sharing who the person really is rather than just another BS prose resume. Nevertheless, I do agree that it is generally not a good idea, and it is better to play safe.

MTatheart

Postby MTatheart » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:22 am

It seems as though the general consensus is "If you don't have to say it then don't."

However, I have a question. I have my own history of abuse. I was never arrested, charged, etc. I did, however, go through a treatment program and then return to school. I have turned a 2.7 into a 3.8. I don't want to say anything about this as it was over three years ago and a part of my life I prefer to forget. However, there is a record of treatment. It SHOULD be private, but that is something of a fantasy (A drunk employee of this facility told me he recognized me at my work before loudly yelling the name of the treatment center in front of my manager and co-workers.) Anyway, does this treatment record mean that I MUST disclose it during the admissions process?

Furthermore, one of my schools basically asks "is there anything else that could prevent your admission to this school or the bar?" in a Y/N format. I want to simply answer no because the state bar guidelines will not punish me or require me to acknowledge a treated condition by that time. Any advice on this broad question as it relates to treatment?

Pneumatic

Postby Pneumatic » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:22 am

MTatheart wrote:It seems as though the general consensus is "If you don't have to say it then don't."

However, I have a question. I have my own history of abuse. I was never arrested, charged, etc. I did, however, go through a treatment program and then return to school. I have turned a 2.7 into a 3.8. I don't want to say anything about this as it was over three years ago and a part of my life I prefer to forget. However, there is a record of treatment. It SHOULD be private, but that is something of a fantasy (A drunk employee of this facility told me he recognized me at my work before loudly yelling the name of the treatment center in front of my manager and co-workers.) Anyway, does this treatment record mean that I MUST disclose it during the admissions process?

Furthermore, one of my schools basically asks "is there anything else that could prevent your admission to this school or the bar?" in a Y/N format. I want to simply answer no because the state bar guidelines will not punish me or require me to acknowledge a treated condition by that time. Any advice on this broad question as it relates to treatment?

Going to treatment shouldn't have any affect on admittance to the bar unless you were mandated to treatment and then didn't complete. It sounds like you voluntarily admitted yourself anyway. This is kind of trollish.

MTatheart

Postby MTatheart » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:00 am

It was not mandated. It was voluntary and completed. I certainly wasn't trying to troll in any way, simply a new user trying to get some valuable advice without rehashing each element of the topic in full by starting a new thread.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”