MS Word constantly want to correct me.....anyone help!

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
daburrel

MS Word constantly want to correct me.....anyone help!

Postby daburrel » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:41 pm

This is my sentence that MS Word refuse to accept without putting the green line under it, and I would really not want that on the document as Law School receive it and it's wrong. Even though I don't believe it's wrong at all.

my sentence
This was a true accomplishment and a gift, but at the same time a burden for my parents.

the suggestions
This was a true accomplishment and a gift, but at the same times a burden for my parents.

These was a true accomplishment and a gift, but at the same time a burden for my parents.

Fresh

Re: MS Word constantly want to correct me.....anyone help!

Postby Fresh » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:44 pm

"This was a true accomplishment and a gift, but at the same time it was a burden upon my parents."

Also, law schools won't get squigglies on your application. When you submit through LSAC it converts it to .pdf and the Microsoft Word stuff disappears. HTH

daburrel

Postby daburrel » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:49 pm

never knew that, thanks for that info. Do you have any idea why MS Word is telling me to correct that sentence though?

verklempt

Postby verklempt » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:09 pm

Word isn't very smart. It sees two nouns (accomplishment and gift) and concludes that "time" should be plural too. Just hit the "ignore" button and it should go away.

daburrel

Postby daburrel » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:48 pm

verklempt wrote:Word isn't very smart. It sees two nouns (accomplishment and gift) and concludes that "time" should be plural too. Just hit the "ignore" button and it should go away.

I figured that, Thanks!

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:23 am

Word grammar check can be helpful, but if you're blindly following all its suggestions, you probably need a firmer grasp on English grammar yourself. You need to be able to overrule Word with confidence when you need to.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”