PS Font/Size?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
ohcede

PS Font/Size?

Postby ohcede » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:59 am

Okay, most of the schools I am applying to want 2 pages, double spaced.

But they don't specify a font or a size.

Mine is currently 2 pages, double spaced exactly. I'm using one inch margins on all sides and it's in Times New Roman font, size 11. (the entire thing is about 900 words)

Do you think it'll be a problem that it's size 11 and not 12? I don't know if an admissions committee will look at it and be annoyed that I used a smaller font to get it to fit in the 2 page limit.

artichoke

Re: PS Font/Size?

Postby artichoke » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:04 pm

ohcede wrote:Okay, most of the schools I am applying to want 2 pages, double spaced.

Mine is currently 2 pages, double spaced exactly. I'm using one inch margins on all sides and it's in Times New Roman font, size 11. (the entire thing is about 900 words)

Do you think it'll be a problem that it's size 11 and not 12? I don't know if an admissions committee will look at it and be annoyed that I used a smaller font to get it to fit in the 2 page limit.

Unless they specify 12-point, 11 should be fine. However, FWIW, I used 12 TNR.

Also, please use the search feature.

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:33 pm

ohcede wrote:Okay, most of the schools I am applying to want 2 pages, double spaced.

I've read in numerous sources that font size in an applicants PS is just slightly less important than their LSAT and GPA. For instance, look at the graph below of last years applicants

According to this graph and other data that I've looked at, not a single applicant who chose to use 11 pt font was accepted to a law school. You could opt just to use the standard 12 point font but then I'm afraid you might have to trim a few words out of your personal statement which would detract from its entire meaning, theme and effectiveness. So I'm afraid that your only option is to scrap the entire thing and start from the beginning.

weejonbu

Postby weejonbu » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:36 pm

naterj wrote:

I've read in numerous sources that font size in an applicants PS is just slightly less important than their LSAT and GPA. For instance, look at the graph below of last years applicants

According to this graph and other data that I've looked at, not a single applicant who chose to use 11 pt font was accepted to a law school. You could opt just to use the standard 12 point font but then I'm afraid you might have to trim a few words out of your personal statement which would detract from its entire meaning, theme and effectiveness. So I'm afraid that your only option is to scrap the entire thing and start from the beginning.

lol, nice :lol:

ohcede

Postby ohcede » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:58 pm

naterj wrote:

Oh, aren't you clever. I'm sure that wit will get you accepted anywhere, no problem. You probably don't even need to submit a personal statement.

D-ROCCA

Postby D-ROCCA » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:03 pm

Then again, you're the one who asked this question. You're a shoe-in.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”