Mentioning the School

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
User avatar
jazz17
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:40 pm

Mentioning the School

Postby jazz17 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:57 am

I've noticed that people aren't mentioning why they want to go to X school in the PS postings....is this standard or are they just not posting that part on here...just wondering. Thanks!!

User avatar
JoeShmoe11
Posts: 355
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:16 pm

Re: Mentioning the School

Postby JoeShmoe11 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:28 am

jazz17 wrote:I've noticed that people aren't mentioning why they want to go to X school in the PS postings....is this standard or are they just not posting that part on here...just wondering. Thanks!!


A lot of it seems to be people just throwing in the college's name to make the essay seem personalized when in reality it is the school's name is interchangeable with any other school. "I want to go to Harvard Law School because it has a great international law program" is what I am saying. I'd have to guess that if you are going to mention a college at least make it so that no other law school's name in that place would make sense. For example, "I want to got to Harvard because Obama went there for law school and he's the best and also their international law program is good too".

User avatar
verklempt
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:59 pm

Re: Mentioning the School

Postby verklempt » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:24 am

If you have something specific to say about a law school -- something that shows more than a passing knowledge (you've talked to a student or alum, spent time on campus, listened to their podcasts, etc) -- you can include it. But you're not going to win points with an adcomm using a copy-and-paste approach.

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Mentioning the School

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:26 am

I included a school-specific paragraph in my PS for one of the schools I was applying to because my PS meshed with something they had specifically only at that school, but kept it generic at the rest.

User avatar
BriaTharen
Posts: 750
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:17 pm

Re: Mentioning the School

Postby BriaTharen » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:33 am

verklempt wrote:If you have something specific to say about a law school -- something that shows more than a passing knowledge (you've talked to a student or alum, spent time on campus, listened to their podcasts, etc) -- you can include it. But you're not going to win points with an adcomm using a copy-and-paste approach.

TCR. Ad-coms know you are copy/pastaing

User avatar
jazz17
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:40 pm

Re: Mentioning the School

Postby jazz17 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:44 am

acrossthelake wrote:I included a school-specific paragraph in my PS for one of the schools I was applying to because my PS meshed with something they had specifically only at that school, but kept it generic at the rest.



Yea I did the same thing....I was just curious as to why I wasn't seeing anyone else doing that.

Thanks everybody!

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Mentioning the School

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:24 am

acrossthelake wrote:I included a school-specific paragraph in my PS for one of the schools I was applying to because my PS meshed with something they had specifically only at that school, but kept it generic at the rest.


Same here. One school got the extra paragraph, but the essay worked fine as a generic PS without it.




Return to “Law School Personal Statements”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.