Question about LSAT scores in PS

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
jimchuck99

Question about LSAT scores in PS

Postby jimchuck99 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:55 pm

I have a question. I worked really hard over a year to improve my LSAT score, raising it from a 165 to 180. Does it make sense to mention or allude to how hard I worked in this year to do that, I should I just let the score speak for itself?

Thanks

rockspaperjesus

Re: Question about LSAT scores in PS

Postby rockspaperjesus » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:00 pm

I'd say don't mention it. Plus, wouldn't it be more impressive if you got a 180 WITHOUT studying for a year?

weejonbu

Postby weejonbu » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:02 pm

jimchuck99 wrote:I have a question. I worked really hard over a year to improve my LSAT score, raising it from a 165 to 180. Does it make sense to mention or allude to how hard I worked in this year to do that, I should I just let the score speak for itself?

Thanks

Wow.... um, I would put it in an addendum, not the PS. Everyone else will probably say the same thing. Attach a short addendum explaining that you worked much harder and were able to put in the effort to raise your score. That kind of a jump is definitely worth an addendum.

krad

Postby krad » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:04 pm

Don't mention it in your PS; PS is for topics other than your grades/scores.

If anything, submit a short addendum RE: LSAT score. Schools may wonder at a 15 point score jump... Search the threads for help on writing an LSAT addendum. Good luck!

rdcws000

Postby rdcws000 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:58 pm

Let the 180 speak for itself. It's probably going to carry your app anyway, so no need to draw attention to it that may even detract from it.

Find something else to write about in your PS, but don't kill yourself. They might not be reading it so close.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:31 pm

Write an addendum addressing the dramatic increase in your LSAT score. Additionally, in your case, the LSAT may need to be mentioned in light of your GPA if your grade issues are discussed in your personal statement.

P.S. Your application cycle should be interesting as I suspect that you may be a splitter for all Tier One law schools.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”