candidness in personal statement

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
spece212

candidness in personal statement

Postby spece212 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:34 am

Folks,

I am applying to law school primarily as a means to obtain growth in professional life on the basis of an advanced/graduate degree. My current field of work is non-legal (engineering background). I believe that my 10 yrs in software/electronics background along with a law degree would serve me well in a patent law career.

I don't have a noble or lofty goal of doing law to change the world. Just to earn a decent living.

I want to focus on the fact that I believe law school would give me a career boost and my previous work-ex would serve me well in future. Do you think being candid in my personal statement about my reason for doing JD would make for a weak personal statement?

Btw. I am an international candidate so should I also address why I don't want to pursue law in my geography (patents in s/w or electronics and not very significant in my country)?

Any inputs are most welcome.

homestyle28

Re: candidness in personal statement

Postby homestyle28 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:42 am

spece212 wrote:Folks,

I am applying to law school primarily as a means to obtain growth in professional life on the basis of an advanced/graduate degree. My current field of work is non-legal (engineering background). I believe that my 10 yrs in software/electronics background along with a law degree would serve me well in a patent law career.

I don't have a noble or lofty goal of doing law to change the world. Just to earn a decent living.

I want to focus on the fact that I believe law school would give me a career boost and my previous work-ex would serve me well in future. Do you think being candid in my personal statement about my reason for doing JD would make for a weak personal statement?

Btw. I am an international candidate so should I also address why I don't want to pursue law in my geography (patents in s/w or electronics and not very significant in my country)?

In your situation, I certainly think the "Why Law School" topic is a good choice. Schools don't care that you don't want to save the world, or be a superhero by night/mild mannered attorney by day. Just write it well and clear and you'll be fine.

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:43 am

spece212 wrote:Folks,

IMO this is a clear plus. They read enough fluffy PSes from applicants with no concrete ideas of what they want to do with their law degree.

krad

Postby krad » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:45 am

homestyle28 wrote: In your situation, I certainly think the "Why Law School" topic is a good choice. Schools don't care that you don't want to save the world, or be a superhero by night/mild mannered attorney by day. Just write it well and clear and you'll be fine.

I centered my PS around Why Law because I come from a sciences background and have been working for ~3 years now... I definitely agree with homestyle, it's right on to tell them why you want to attend and what you want to do!

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:54 am

krad wrote:
homestyle28 wrote: In your situation, I certainly think the "Why Law School" topic is a good choice. Schools don't care that you don't want to save the world, or be a superhero by night/mild mannered attorney by day. Just write it well and clear and you'll be fine.

I centered my PS around Why Law because I come from a sciences background and have been working for ~3 years now... I definitely agree with homestyle, it's right on to tell them why you want to attend and what you want to do!

The more you agree with me the more I hope you get into NU. Between that and your great profile quote I can sense your awesomeness.

krad

Postby krad » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:59 am

homestyle28 wrote:
krad wrote:

The more you agree with me the more I hope you get into NU. Between that and your great profile quote I can sense your awesomeness.

lol :D I recently noticed that; Surely it's a sign that NU is the place for me! Haha I can dream...

...and The Hangover is the best movie ever.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:19 am

krad wrote:...and The Hangover is the best movie ever.

Amen sister. I especially I appreciate you quoting the baby masturbation joke. It's a risky move, but I think it works.

"I keep for getting about the goddamn tiger"

krad

Postby krad » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:21 am

homestyle28 wrote:
krad wrote:...and The Hangover is the best movie ever.

Amen sister. I especially I appreciate you quoting the baby masturbation joke. It's a risky move, but I think it works.

"I keep for getting about the goddamn tiger"

:lol: my tar was originally Zach Galafinakis, so it made more sense at the time, but I couldn't bring myself to delete that quote.

OP sorry for derailing ha but I think we answered your ?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”