How much does PS matter for URMs?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
URMdan

How much does PS matter for URMs?

Postby URMdan » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:10 pm

Particularly AA URMs

glitter178

Re: How much does PS matter for URMs?

Postby glitter178 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:11 pm

URMdan wrote:Particularly AA URMs

not at all. just check the box

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:11 pm

more..

femme

Postby femme » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:12 pm

femme

Postby femme » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:12 pm

glitter178 wrote:

180 :lol:

URMdan

Postby URMdan » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:15 pm

femme wrote:
glitter178 wrote:

180 :lol:

?

ShuckingNotJiving

Postby ShuckingNotJiving » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:22 pm

URMDAN, glitter was making a joke. At least I hope so.

Law Schools seem to be more willing to look past the just the numbers with URMs, which suggests that Personal Statements can carry more weight than for other applicants. I'm curious, though, what prompted this question? If the answer was -- "no they don't matter at all" --would you just transcribe a Taco Bell reciept and put it into .doc form? You should take time on your PS. Especially if your numbers are lacking.

URMdan

Postby URMdan » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:24 pm

Because I have an appetite for curiosity.

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:26 pm

URMdan wrote:Because I have an appetite for curiosity.

Well if you want the answer to the question you originally asked - It matters enough.

femme

Postby femme » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:27 pm

URMdan wrote:Because I have an appetite for curiosity.

Well I hope you're also hungry for knowledge. The link I previously posted answers your question and if you have done any research on the application process, I'm sure you'll see that a personal statement is a crucial component to your application package.

URMdan

Postby URMdan » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:31 pm

I only ask because I've read that the PS doesn't matter for URMs

aesis

Postby aesis » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:33 pm

That is utterly false.

femme

Postby femme » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:33 pm

aesis wrote:That is utterly false.

+1

URMdan wrote:I only ask because I've read that the PS doesn't matter for URMs

What is your source?

HowdyYall

Postby HowdyYall » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:35 pm

URMdan wrote:I only ask because I've read that the PS doesn't matter for URMs

dude, stop worrying about how much your URM status will put you forward. just put in your best application possible and be done with it

ShuckingNotJiving

Postby ShuckingNotJiving » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:35 pm

i like how you've posted this in two forums and got responses on both of them. you should go for the hattrick. head on over to lawschool admissions forum, copy, paste, click.

glitter178

Postby glitter178 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:35 pm

ShuckingNotJiving wrote:URMDAN, glitter was making a joke. At least I hope so.

Law Schools seem to be more willing to look past the just the numbers with URMs, which suggests that Personal Statements can carry more weight than for other applicants. I'm curious, though, what prompted this question? If the answer was -- "no they don't matter at all" --would you just transcribe a Taco Bell reciept and put it into .doc form? You should take time on your PS. Especially if your numbers are lacking.

yes, i'm kidding. PS is the most important qualitative factor in your app--- and since you are an URM and stand out more, why not use that visability to your advantage and make a great personal statement?

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:40 pm

glitter178 wrote:

Oh my god you're hilarious.

The answer is that it matters a ton. It is more important for URM's because schools basically have have a quota (they say they don't but they do) for URM's and they generally assume that these candidates will be below their numbers. People incorrectly lament URM's for "taking their spots" but really they don't compete directly with them. Anyway that is beside the point.

Say a school has a median LSAT of 160, a median GPA of 3.5, and they want to take 40 URM's this cycle. They will likely offer big schollys to any URM that is above one of their medians, but basically if its a large school they will get about 200 URM aps for those remaining 30 spots (say 10 URM's are above numbers and accept the scholly). All of those aps will be below both their medians. At this point, after they weed out the ones that have numbers so low that they worry the applicant would fail out or embarrass their school, they pick which applicant they like the most. It makes no difference whether the applicant has has a 159, 3.49 or a 153, 3.1 because the median is an actual person or group of persons (people don't consider this often) and both of those applicants would have the same effect on the schools medians because they are both below them.

I think some schools would still take the guy with the 159 because they would assume he would be a better student, but not always, and the point is that personal statements for URM's are very important because numbers of often less important due to the fact that URM's compete with spots against other URM's, and schools generally assume those URM's are going to be below their numbers.

This isn't one of those "URM's are stupid" threads, at all, URM's are often below numbers at a certain school because they know they can get into schools where they are below both the medians.

They get in because the write themselves in.

URMdan

Postby URMdan » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:42 pm

ShuckingNotJiving wrote:i like how you've posted this in two forums and got responses on both of them. you should go for the hattrick. head on over to lawschool admissions forum, copy, paste, click.

Actually I think I already have the hattrick. This was originally in the Admissions forum but got moved to the PS forum.

URMdan

Postby URMdan » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:45 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:
glitter178 wrote:

Oh my god you're hilarious.

The answer is that it matters a ton. It is more important for URM's because schools basically have have a quota (they say they don't but they do) for URM's and they generally assume that these candidates will be below their numbers. People incorrectly lament URM's for "taking their spots" but really they don't compete directly with them. Anyway that is beside the point.

Say a school has a median LSAT of 160, a median GPA of 3.5, and they want to take 40 URM's this cycle. They will likely offer big schollys to any URM that is above one of their medians, but basically if its a large school they will get about 200 URM aps for those remaining 30 spots (say 10 URM's are above numbers and accept the scholly). All of those aps will be below both their medians. At this point, after they weed out the ones that have numbers so low that they worry the applicant would fail out or embarrass their school, they pick which applicant they like the most. It makes no difference whether the applicant has has a 159, 3.49 or a 153, 3.1 because the median is an actual person or group of persons (people don't consider this often) and both of those applicants would have the same effect on the schools medians because they are both below them.

I think some schools would still take the guy with the 159 because they would assume he would be a better student, but not always, and the point is that personal statements for URM's are very important because numbers of often less important due to the fact that URM's compete with spots against other URM's, and schools generally assume those URM's are going to be below their numbers.

This isn't one of those "URM's are stupid" threads, at all, URM's are often below numbers at a certain school because they know they can get into schools where they are below both the medians.

They get in because the write themselves in.

Thank you.

ShuckingNotJiving

Postby ShuckingNotJiving » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:47 pm

URMdan wrote:
ShuckingNotJiving wrote:i like how you've posted this in two forums and got responses on both of them. you should go for the hattrick. head on over to lawschool admissions forum, copy, paste, click.

Actually I think I already have the hattrick. This was originally in the Admissions forum but got moved to the PS forum.

NOICE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”