Criminal Charges Addendum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )

Criminal Charges Addendum

Postby jennamc85 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:16 pm

This is a first draft of what I propose to submit as an addendum regarding criminal charges. The below is 100% true. My questions are below:

Is this too long given that the charge was nolle?

Should I provide documentation? (e.g., a certified copy of my clean driving record, the faulty letter in question)?

I say that I was "cited" for this charge. I was full-on arrested and spent four very unpleasant hours in DC jail. (I hope you never find out what that is like). Do I have to explicitly state that I was arrested?

Thanks for any input.

On October 10th, 2010, I was cited for Operating on a Suspended License in the District of Columbia. This was due to an administrative error on behalf of the District of Columbia Department of Motor Vehicles. In January 2010, I received a ticket for a minor moving violation. I chose to contest this ticket by mail, and I received a reduced fine due to the circumstances. I received a letter stating that I had 18 days to contest this decision. A new rule had recently been implemented, which requires those who receive fines after contesting a ticket to pay the ticket within 15 days of adjudication or face license suspension. The DMV admitted to having sent me the wrong, older form of letter that clearly did not reflect this new rule, and this resulted in my driving for several months without knowledge that my license was suspended. They sent no notification of suspension, and I was not informed upon paying the ticket. A supervisor at the Department of Motor Vehicles apologized and cleared my driving record due to the error, and the District of Columbia declined to prosecute.

Re: Criminal Charges Addendum

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:18 pm

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”