Addendum help!

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
srpaik

Addendum help!

Postby srpaik » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:12 pm

Hey guys, for my addendum, I want to write excuses for three things: canceled LSAT, low LSAT score, and the reason for leave of absence from university. Please advise on how to write on these. Here is what I wrote so far... Any suggestions?

For my first time sitting for the LSAT, I was not sufficiently prepared for the exam. However, for my second time, although I was prepared this time, I had a hard time concentrating for the test, as I had a bad headache due to illness. As a result, I could not finish the test, canceled the test and walked out of the testing room after my third section.

Standardized tests do not show accurate prediction of my performance. For example, the median SAT score at my college was 2,170, while my actual SAT score was a 1,960. Although my SAT score was significantly lower than other classmates, I managed my GPA to be on the top 70th percentile.

I took a leave of absence from university for a year after completing junior year. As it is written in my personal statement, the reason for the absent year was due to starting and operating a venture.

3|ink

Re: Addendum help!

Postby 3|ink » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:51 pm

srpaik wrote:Hey guys, for my addendum, I want to write excuses...

No. Do not come off like you're directly trying to deflect blame from yourself for your performance.

What schools are these for? T1?

srpaik

Postby srpaik » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:44 pm

3|ink wrote:

No. Do not come off like you're directly trying to deflect blame from yourself for your performance.

Yea these are for T1. Well, I said "excuses" but those things on addendum are all true, and not made up stories. Should I not mention that I got sick during my second LSAT and did not even finish the test and had to get out at the break after third section?

BrownBears09

Postby BrownBears09 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:52 pm

srpaik wrote:
3|ink wrote:

Yea these are for T1. Well, I said "excuses" but those things on addendum are all true, and not made up stories. Should I not mention that I got sick during my second LSAT and did not even finish the test and had to get out at the break after third section?

Your addendum should "explain" not "excuse."

srpaik

Postby srpaik » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:59 pm

BrownBears09 wrote:
srpaik wrote:
3|ink wrote:

Your addendum should "explain" not "excuse."

Did you even read what I wrote up there. It may seem like excuses but they are "explaining" my situation.

writetrack

Postby writetrack » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:18 pm

Hi Srpaik,

I agree, don't make excuses. But that said I would really provide context and evidence. For example, if you did not do well in the LSAT it could that while you understand the specific skill set the exam is testing and you tried hard to hone in on that skill set you nevertheless did not demonstrate your true academic aptitude. There are a lot of other ways to make your addendum a series of strong, plausible arguments that would mitigate the weaknesses in your applications. Let me know if you need further guidance.

St.Remy

Postby St.Remy » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:25 pm

srpaik wrote:For my first time sitting for the LSAT, I was not sufficiently prepared for the exam. However, for my second time, although I was prepared this time, I had a hard time concentrating for the test, as I had a bad headache due to illness. As a result, I could not finish the test, canceled the test and walked out of the testing room after my third section.

Standardized tests do not show accurate prediction of my performance. For example, the median SAT score at my college was 2,170, while my actual SAT score was a 1,960. Although my SAT score was significantly lower than other classmates, I managed my GPA to be on the top 70th percentile.

I took a leave of absence from university for a year after completing junior year. As it is written in my personal statement, the reason for the absent year was due to starting and operating a venture.

For the love of God don't send any of this as an addendum. 1) Being insufficiently prepared for the LSAT is not a good excuse. Serious illness is, but that isn't what you describe. 2) Your SAT is barely 200 points different than your schools average, far too little of a difference to justify an addendum. 3) The leave of absence definitely merits an addendum but it is important for that addendum to not leave adcomms thinking less of you. As it stands your writing makes it sound like you made school a low priority, something that you do not want adcomms to think (also, describing what you did as a "venture" makes no sense).

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”