Deleted Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
vissidarte27

Bronze

Deleted

Post by vissidarte27 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:26 am

Old draft is better than this one. Oops.
Last edited by vissidarte27 on Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cupidity

Gold

Re: PS - Music and LGBT activism. New draft.

Post by Cupidity » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:43 am

Problems:

1) I don't get the link between music and sexuality
2) I don't like your sporadic paragraph structure in the beginning
3) Your gay story is boring as all get out. You included about every cliche' you could, brought up DADT, Dan Savage, and oh my god, the world hates us? Shock. Hey you know who wrote that? Every other gay candidate.

Overall, paper isn't genuine enough, I could have faked it. You don't provide any kind of depth, it isn't personal, and it is poorly organized. Scrap and restart.

Saltqjibo

Bronze

Post by Saltqjibo » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:47 am

No offense, but I think you should go with more music and less coming out story. The part about music seems passionate and well written -- the other stuff seems like it might be more personal than what adcomms are looking for

rockspaperjesus

New

Post by rockspaperjesus » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:07 am

I really like it. I think it's beautifully written. However, I'm not sure that this sentence is necessary: "It became harder and harder to fight my growing attraction towards women". I'm not sure they need to be sitting there wondering how that played out. You obviously need to discuss your sexuality to make this essay work, but I think that makes it a little too personal for a law school statement. Nothing to do with the homosexuality aspect of it, of course...it would be be too personal for a heterosexual guy to say something like "I was really fighting the urge to bang that chick", etc....

_cHRIS

New

Post by _cHRIS » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:31 am

I would scrap the entire thing. Even if law schools may appear to be positively biased towards LGBT struggles, you have no idea who will personally read this, in which case you should probably avoid all controversial topics.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Montevillian

Bronze

Post by Montevillian » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:44 am

I seem to remember reading an earlier version of this personal statement (are you the one that had the phrase "Clue Bus" in her statement?) and liking it A LOT more than this draft. I could hardly think of anything to critique on that draft. This one, however... The beginning absolutely made me roll my eyes. The music section is still good, but since the statement is so long.. Do you really think the adcomms will be willing to read all the way through the statement to get to the good section? Just something to think about. I'm getting the feeling you're overanalyzing this process.

vissidarte27

Bronze

Post by vissidarte27 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:54 am

Montevillian wrote:I seem to remember reading an earlier version of this personal statement (are you the one that had the phrase "Clue Bus" in her statement?) and liking it A LOT more than this draft. I could hardly think of anything to critique on that draft. This one, however... The beginning absolutely made me roll my eyes. The music section is still good, but since the statement is so long.. Do you really think the adcomms will be willing to read all the way through the statement to get to the good section? Just something to think about. I'm getting the feeling you're overanalyzing this process.
Yes, that was my earlier draft and I think you're right -- I'm overanalyzing and trying to fix things that weren't broken.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”