Diversity Statement 1st Draft PLEASE HELP or PM me for swap Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
rbarcelo9

Silver

Diversity Statement 1st Draft PLEASE HELP or PM me for swap

Post by rbarcelo9 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:22 pm

Growing up as a first generation immigrant has proved to be very challenging. Although in the grand scheme of things I have faired pretty well, and have little to no complaints, my accomplishments have all come with the odds against me. When I was born in a small hospital in North Miami Beach and moved into a small town home in the low income, predominantly Latino, city of Hialeah, there wasn’t a new crib waiting for me in a newly decorated room, there was no college fund taken out. These things were mere luxuries. The same crib my brother used six years prior, would be mine, and as far as college was concerned- that wasn’t even a consideration. Having fled Cuba just 15 years before my birth, my family was still trying to establish themselves in America.
Despite constant encouragement from my parents and family, I never really felt like I was supposed to go to college. No one in my family had ever gone to a four-year university. It wasn’t until my brother dropped out of high school that I really knew that I, myself, wanted to go to college. Not because I wanted to make money, not even because I had a dream of attaining a prestigious job that required a college education, but because of how distressed my mother was that her son was giving up when she had sacrificed so much for him; for us. I promised myself that I wouldn’t let my family down; I was determined to go to college. My hard work and determination allowed me to be the first person in my family to graduate from a four-year university.
As a law student and eventually a lawyer, I look to help people like my family—immigrants and other vulnerable US citizens that would otherwise be taken advantage of without adequate representation. My upbringing and Latino background will provide me with the cultural familiarity and language skills necessary to assist those whom I intend to help the most.

rbarcelo9

Silver

Re: Diversity Statement 1st Draft PLEASE HELP or PM me for swap

Post by rbarcelo9 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:22 pm

anyone? I really need help on this DS its the only thing keeping me from submitting! PM me to swap!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”