Is a legal work related topic cheesy/cliche?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
granato

Is a legal work related topic cheesy/cliche?

Postby granato » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:47 am

Most of my PS is centered around getting a job working for a patent attorney at a large company. It's not so much about the job itself, but how it has introduced me to the real world...how it has changed my perspective, made me grow up, strengthened my resolve to be an attorney, made me more ready for life's challenges and all that cheese. I just finished reading a lot about how law schools couldn't care less about prior legal work experience and got to thinking this might not be the best focal point. It really has been a big deal in my life though.

Any thoughts? Anyone do something similar?

granato

Re: Is a legal work related topic cheesy/cliche?

Postby granato » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:48 am

I'm a non-hard science major who recently graduated with a history degree. I'm working as an IP analyst for a corporate patent attorney (basically do qwerty database searches, type memos, highlight patents/patent applications), and taking hard science classes on the side to meet the PTO's requirements.

The thing is I can't think of anything better than this to give law schools an insight into my current mindset and who I am. I'm combining it with a little tale about overcoming stuttering.

glitched

Postby glitched » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:17 pm

Nonhard science major who graduated with a history degree? Lol I didnt know you could graduate with a degree thats different from your major (other than doubles and minors I guess). Unless youre saying history is a science... What do you mean by non hard science exactly?

granato

Postby granato » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:44 pm

Typically, people who go into patent law graduate with a degree in electrical engineering, chemistry, computer sciences, etc. Those are "hard sciences". I did not major in a hard science, but in history, so I have to take a bit of a different route to prove to the Patent Office that I am proficient in some area of science/technology. Then, I have to convince other attorney's that they should hire me over that guy with a PhD in chemical engineering.

glitched

Postby glitched » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:15 pm

I just don't know why you are considering history as a science at all (of course its a non hard science... Its not a science). So with your major, the only support you have for wanting to go into ip and doing well would be WE. If youre set on writing a ps that talks about ip, then you would have to write about your job.

glitched

Postby glitched » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:18 pm

granato wrote:I'm a non-hard science major

So im guessing you meant a non hard-science major... Lol that's why I got mixed up.

granato

Postby granato » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:56 pm

Yes, of course History isn't a science. Pardon my hyphen blunder. To clarify, and this is probably the main point of my post, I do not want to write my ps on working around IP law just for the sake of writing about IP law. I'm writing about it because it has had a big impact on me. My main concern is that law schools will see a topic about legal work experience and think I'm trying to impress them or something.

amyLAchemist, I would greatly appreciate additional follow-up. Your background sounds exactly like my employer's.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”