Why UVa? help

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
quetzal_bird

Why UVa? help

Postby quetzal_bird » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:37 am

My Why UVa?

This past October, I drove through the Shenandoah valley. I saw mountains for the first time. It was breathtaking. Scenery is not why I am choosing the University of Virginia School of Law, but it is part of the decision. As I approached Charlottesville, the cliff faces, the peaks, stuck with me. This is how I think about the next three years. They are going to be about extremes, about heights. They are going to push boundaries. And this is why the University of Virginia feels right

In the University of Virginia’s curriculum, I see the chance to study the issues in law that I care about from both a local and a global perspective. This begins in Virginia, where I hope to practice. When I examined the clinics that UVa offers, I was drawn to Professor Ford’s Immigration Law clinic. As the granddaughter of Mexican immigrants, the way that the law addresses the needs of immigrants appeals to me both personally and professionally. Moreover, the opportunity to participate in clinics that deal with how the law is experienced within Virginia is vital to me. At the same time, concentrations that UVa offers in areas like Human Rights and Civil Liberties can also offer me a broader, international view of the law.

UVa’s culture, and its commitment to ethics, also appeals to me. I am completing my undergraduate degree at the College of William & Mary, so I understand the origin and importance of UVa’s Honor Code and principles both universities share. I think that the Honor Code is a powerful element in why public service at the University of Virginia is so vibrant. I think it is also why alumni support each other after graduation. I hope to be part of this community. I plan on public service being an important component of my legal education.
I want to become like a mountain. I need a strong foundation, to be firmly grounded in a place that can support me. I need to be able to push myself, too. I hope be challenged. These are the reasons why I have chosen the University of Virginia.

I guess my biggest concern is that this is trite, or forced. That is how I felt writing it. I am not sure I adequately addressed the big question of "Why UVA?" in a well-written manner. Any critique would be helpful, thanks.

lebroniousjames

Re: Why UVa? help

Postby lebroniousjames » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:45 am

-
Last edited by lebroniousjames on Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lebroniousjames

Postby lebroniousjames » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:52 am

-
Last edited by lebroniousjames on Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

quetzal_bird

Postby quetzal_bird » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:58 am

That's very helpful. Instead of submitting a PS, DS, and Why UVa?, would you recommend I tailor my DS specifically to UVA (address your point of what my diversity can offer UVA) and simply submit that with a PS?

lebroniousjames

Postby lebroniousjames » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:11 am

-
Last edited by lebroniousjames on Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lebroniousjames

Postby lebroniousjames » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:25 am

-
Last edited by lebroniousjames on Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Remnantofisrael

Postby Remnantofisrael » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:37 pm

I think most "why X school" are trite and contrived, even when they aren't written that way. I like where you are going with this. The only thing I can add is to consider what they want to gain out of knowing this. I think most schools just want to know you will go there if they accept you, and that you'll fit in. bringing a different perspective is great for DS and PS, but I think this is the one case they just want to know you are stoked to go there.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:42 pm

UVA all caps, not UVa.

lebroniousjames

Postby lebroniousjames » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:53 pm

-

oscodasa

Postby oscodasa » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:02 pm

quetzal_bird wrote:My Why UVa?

This past October, I drove through the Shenandoah valley. I saw mountains for the first time. It was breathtaking. Scenery is not why I am choosing the University of Virginia School of Law, but it is part of the decision. As I approached Charlottesville, the cliff faces, the peaks, stuck with me. This is how I think about the next three years. They are going to be about extremes, about heights. They are going to push boundaries. And this is why the University of Virginia feels right

In the University of Virginia’s curriculum, I see the chance to study the issues in law that I care about from both a local and a global perspective. This begins in Virginia, where I hope to practice. When I examined the clinics that UVa offers, I was drawn to Professor Ford’s Immigration Law clinic. As the granddaughter of Mexican immigrants, the way that the law addresses the needs of immigrants appeals to me both personally and professionally. Moreover, the opportunity to participate in clinics that deal with how the law is experienced within Virginia is vital to me. At the same time, concentrations that UVa offers in areas like Human Rights and Civil Liberties can also offer me a broader, international view of the law.

UVa’s culture, and its commitment to ethics, also appeals to me. I am completing my undergraduate degree at the College of William & Mary, so I understand the origin and importance of UVa’s Honor Code and principles both universities share. I think that the Honor Code is a powerful element in why public service at the University of Virginia is so vibrant. I think it is also why alumni support each other after graduation. I hope to be part of this community. I plan on public service being an important component of my legal education.
I want to become like a mountain. I need a strong foundation, to be firmly grounded in a place that can support me. I need to be able to push myself, too. I hope be challenged. These are the reasons why I have chosen the University of Virginia.

I guess my biggest concern is that this is trite, or forced. That is how I felt writing it. I am not sure I adequately addressed the big question of "Why UVA?" in a well-written manner. Any critique would be helpful, thanks.

This may be personal preference, but I feel like you're assuming too much regarding W&M's honor code. I think you should briefly explain this in order to give it more credibility.

quetzal_bird

Postby quetzal_bird » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:25 pm

Sorry for the late response, been battling the flu....

I think the Honor Code idea is generic so I will avoid it. W&M's honor code and UVA's are both written by Thomas Jefferson, and here it seems like a big deal but something many people could write about. It was very good advice to steer me away from it.

My DS is pretty personal. Its about living with my mom's mental illnesses and the responsibilities I have needed to assume towards her because of them, but it is also an explanation about how I have been able to feel close to her by exploring my Mexican heritage (her side of the family)

I think for UVA I will shorten this statement and immediately transition from my desire to understand my Mexican heritage and support immigrants in my community by explaining why UVA is the right place for me to do this. I ultimately want to stay in the Southeast/VA and I want to be able to get some hands-on experience (through UVa's Immigration Law clinic, for example) as a law school student. I don't want to wait to return to VA to start becoming involved in this community

Also, I was under the impression UVa was actually more correct than UVA. Is this incorrect?

vissidarte27

Postby vissidarte27 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:32 am

quetzal_bird wrote:
My DS is pretty personal. Its about living with my mom's mental illnesses and the responsibilities I have needed to assume towards her because of them...

High five, dude. Getting through that is a bitch -- I was in the same situation growing up.

If you can deal with a mentally ill parent, you can do just about anything, IMO.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”