uchicago on diversity statements

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
canes

uchicago on diversity statements

Postby canes » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:21 pm

From their website:

"May I submit a diversity statement or an additional essay?

We do not ask for a diversity statement or additional essays because we believe that the personal statement is an appropriate place for you discuss any aspects of your background (e.g., racial, ethnic, or religious identification, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation) that you think are relevant to your application. If you find that you absolutely cannot convey the necessary information in your personal statement, you may submit an additional statement.

Remember that the Committee is looking for you to demonstrate skills that you will need in law school. We want to see that you can communicate your message in a clear, concise, and organized manner. Often, too many additional or supplemental materials or addenda detract from a clear and concise message."

Has everyone here pretty much steered clear of submitting one? If not, what kind of mind-blowing diversity statement did you provide?

modmx

Re: uchicago on diversity statements

Postby modmx » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:28 pm

I submitted one. My PS states exactly why I want to attend law school and its 2 pages on the dot. I needed to use the additional one-pager to highlight my diversity

I feel like UChicago puts up a "badass" attitude that I don't buy into. I want to put forth my strongest app and I have confidence that it cant hurt to submit a diversity statement if your PS allows no room to highlight such

WayBryson

Re: uchicago on diversity statements

Postby WayBryson » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:58 am

"Often, too many additional or supplemental materials or addenda detract from a clear and concise message."

Clear and Concise picture of you = good. So it follows that if your personal statement and diversity statement achieves this then you are giving them exactly what they want. However, if they feel that your application is not concise then it will probably hurt. That's my take on it anyway.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”