Why BC?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
bigkahuna2020

Why BC?

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:47 pm

Here it is---not sure about how to write these types of essays but I took a shot. It's two lines too long, but I circlerd one sentence with ???'s because I am not sure of its relevance---HOWEVER, it is the only one that tells the school about why I would be a good fit for them?

Anyway, have at it

My time in China gave me an appreciation for the proper legal protections for the environment and human rights that serve to give us a vibrant civil society, protecting both nature and man. Boston College Law School's strengths in these fields, influential journals, innovative clinics and experienced professors greatly impressed me and I look forward to taking advantage of these resources.
The Boston College Environmental Affairs Law Review is one of the oldest and most influential environmental law journals in the nation, and having the chance to be involved with the writing and symposia is a large draw for me. Its combination of science, policy and legal research is something I feel I can contribute greatly to and benefit from, as a person who was previously involved in scientific research. However, my interest in environmental issues does not end there; I am looking forward to learning from Professor Plater because of his extensive experience, including work related to the Tennessee Valley Authority, the Exxon-Valdez oil spill and the management of natural resources in Ethiopia. Another professor whose experiences are of interest to me is Professor Greenfield, especially his work in bringing accountability to Unocal's operations in Burma and in decision making theory.
Professor Trembley's newly opened Community Enterprise Clinic is another aspect of Boston College Law School in which I look forward to participating. While basic civil and human rights are necessary for disadvantaged groups and impoverished neighborhoods, economic vibrancy is also certainly needed to improve people's lives. Supporting individuals' creativity and entrepreneurship would be a fulfilling and educational enterprise. ???? Organizational skills honed during my time in Vancouver independently setting up an electroencephalography lab will help me in both process and understanding in such a setting.????
Boston College Law School's strengths in environmental and human rights law and its authoritative journals, innovative clinics and knowledgeable professors motivated me to apply and I look forward to attending in the fall.

bigkahuna2020

Re: Why BC?

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:49 pm

Revised----not at all sure it it is better but it is perfect length

My time in China gave me an appreciation for the proper legal protections for the environment and human rights that serve to give us a vibrant civil society, protecting both nature and man. Boston College Law School's strengths in these fields, influential journals, innovative clinics and experienced professors greatly impressed me and I look forward to taking advantage of these resources.
The Boston College Environmental Affairs Law Review is one of the oldest and most influential environmental law journals in the nation, and having the chance to be involved with the writing and symposia is a large draw for me. Its combination of science, policy and legal research is something I feel I can contribute greatly to and benefit from, as a person who was previously involved in scientific research. However, my interest in environmental issues does not end there; I am looking forward to learning from Professor Plater because of his extensive experience, including work related to the Tennessee Valley Authority, the Exxon-Valdez oil spill and the management of natural resources in Ethiopia. Professor Greenfield's experiences and research, especially his work in bringing accountability to Unocal's operations in Burma and in decision making theory, make me eager to learn from him.
Professor Trembley's newly opened Community Enterprise Clinic is another aspect of Boston College Law School in which I look forward to participating. While basic civil and human rights are necessary for disadvantaged groups and impoverished neighborhoods, economic vibrancy is also certainly needed to improve people's lives. Supporting individuals' creativity and entrepreneurship would be a fulfilling and educational enterprise.
Boston College Law School's strengths in environmental and human rights law and its authoritative journals, innovative clinics and knowledgeable professors motivated me to apply and I look forward to attending in the fall.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:50 pm

Talk about hockey, auto admit

bigkahuna2020

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:52 pm

Cupidity wrote:Talk about hockey, auto admit

LoL, I did live in Canada for 5 years, I am sure I could wax poetic about the fastest game. But seriously, anything wrong in the essay(s) you see above?

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:52 pm

Actually, this is atrocious, I'll give it some serious thought and reply, but do not submit this.

bigkahuna2020

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:53 pm

Bleh

theskippa10

Postby theskippa10 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:55 pm

pretty sure its TremblAy btw

bigkahuna2020

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:57 pm

theskippa10 wrote:pretty sure its TremblAy btw

http://www.bc.edu/schools/law/fac-staff ... blayp.html

It's a pretty common Quebec Francophone surname--pretty bad of me to misspell, thanks

atkpl

Postby atkpl » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:11 pm

I thought BC does not have optional statement.

Is this the one personal statement u r submitting?

bigkahuna2020

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:13 am

atkpl wrote:I thought BC does not have optional statement.

Is this the one personal statement u r submitting?

I also have a PS...but for almost every school I am applying to there is really an academic/professional reason beyond just rankings (ie BC--enviro law journal and profs, clinics etc)

so no responses?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”