referring to boalt in an essay

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
User avatar
canes
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:02 pm

referring to boalt in an essay

Postby canes » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:01 pm

with such a long name, what do you think is the most appropriate way to work the name into an essay? Writing out "the University of California Berkeley Boalt Hall School of Law" ruins the flow of any essay, but i dont want to get too casual either

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: referring to boalt in an essay

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:03 pm

canes wrote:with such a long name, what do you think is the most appropriate way to work the name into an essay? Writing out "the University of California Berkeley Boalt Hall School of Law" ruins the flow of any essay, but i dont want to get too casual either


I think they are trying to become known as Berkeley Law rather than Boalt Hall. If you look on their website, they clearly refer to themselves as Berkeley Law. http://www.law.berkeley.edu/about.htm

User avatar
canes
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:02 pm

Re: referring to boalt in an essay

Postby canes » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:07 pm

Thanks... I had noticed that, but was wondering if its too informal if its the first time I'm mentioning it in the essay?
Last edited by canes on Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: referring to boalt in an essay

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:15 pm

canes wrote:Thanks... I had noticed that, but was wondering if its too informal if its the first time I'm mentioning it in the essay?

"There is no better place for me to move forward with a commitment to my community than at the Berkeley School of Law, where...."


Yea I know what you mean. It sucks that Berkeley's official name is so long lol. I definitely think you should go with Berkeley Law for the rest of it though, regardless if you decide to go with the full title the first time.

User avatar
canes
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:02 pm

Re: referring to boalt in an essay

Postby canes » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:37 pm

Frustrating lol... This is the only thing stopping me from sending my app out. In my diversity statement I only refer to the school once and it's to end the essay

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13640
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: referring to boalt in an essay

Postby Flips88 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:40 am

I submitted mine today and referred to it as Berkeley Law every time.

User avatar
canes
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:02 pm

Re: referring to boalt in an essay

Postby canes » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:25 pm

Flips88 wrote:I submitted mine today and referred to it as Berkeley Law every time.


That's what I ended up doing.




Return to “Law School Personal Statements”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.