DS Question Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
NZA

Silver

DS Question

Post by NZA » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:36 pm

On most all law school apps, the DS essay seems to apply not only to any ethnic/racial/wtv situations, but also to any other kind of "hardship" one might have faced in the past (eg, sexual orientation, gender issues, immigrant status, all that).

I was wondering what people would consider writing a DS statement about aside from diversity. I know that sounds weird, but I'm looking for things like gender issues, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, etc. I'm on the verge of writing a DS statement on a very personal but relevant issue, but I'm not 100% sure it would be appropriate.

It relates more, say, to socio-economic conditions than anything else, but it's a bit more complicated than that. Anyway, just curious to see what people think.

Gotti

Gold

Re: DS Question

Post by Gotti » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:38 am

A lot of schools don't ask you for a DIVERSITY statement per se, but instead they ask you to describe any hardships you have experienced (socio-economic standing, sexuality, etc.). So I think you'll be fine. Even for schools that say diversity explicitly, you can still swing your version to accommodate. Just be sure to talk about why you are diverse/what you can bring to XXXX law school and why they should care/what it will do for them.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”