Things you should almost never or never mention in your PS.

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
User avatar
plenipotentiary
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:13 pm

Re: Things you should almost never or never mention in your PS.

Postby plenipotentiary » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:57 pm

masochist wrote:Anything that begins in media res unless the entire PS is going to be written as a Greek tragedy complete with parts for the chorus.

Example:

Applicant: It was 3AM when I encountered the orphan begging on the streets of Cairo. I then realized my dream was to use my law degree to save children in Africa.

Chorus (singing): She is naïve … but attractive. Her application is viewed auspiciously by the Gods.


I love you.

User avatar
kelc213
Posts: 72
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:05 pm

Re: Things you should almost never or never mention in your PS.

Postby kelc213 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:30 pm

"I want to go to law school because my family/friends/dog/neighbor/2nd grade teacher think I argue too much."

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Things you should almost never or never mention in your PS.

Postby northwood » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:01 am

i was 15 when i first killed a man in cold blood.

OMG YOU KILLED KENNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

first I was afraid, then I was petrified

michael jackson is my hero because........

I drive a white bronco

I want to go to Law school because i live in Texas, and I want to make sure the guys Chuck Norris arrests get sent away to jail forever. No one who makes chuck norris get angry deserves to spend a day out of jail.

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Things you should almost never or never mention in your PS.

Postby 3|ink » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:43 am

northwood wrote:i was 15 when i first killed a man in cold blood.

OMG YOU KILLED KENNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

first I was afraid, then I was petrified

michael jackson is my hero because........

I drive a white bronco

I want to go to Law school because i live in Texas, and I want to make sure the guys Chuck Norris arrests get sent away to jail forever. No one who makes chuck norris get angry deserves to spend a day out of jail.


Auto-admit

User avatar
Adjudicator
Posts: 1108
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:18 am

Re: Things you should almost never or never mention in your PS.

Postby Adjudicator » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:46 am

Don't write a PS about the time you were convicted of child molestation and what you learned from it, how it changed you, and how it made you want to become a lawyer.

edit: Put it in an addendum!
Last edited by Adjudicator on Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

2011Law
Posts: 822
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:40 pm

Re: Things you should almost never or never mention in your PS.

Postby 2011Law » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:54 am

Adjudicator wrote:Don't write a PS about the time you were convicted of child molestation and what you learned from it, how it changed you, and how it made you want to become a lawyer.


If your PS is about how you want to represent NAMBLA, but at the same time you are over both 75th marks, do you think you'd be accepted? What if you're also URM and have great softs?

User avatar
Adjudicator
Posts: 1108
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:18 am

Re: Things you should almost never or never mention in your PS.

Postby Adjudicator » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:56 am

2011Law wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:Don't write a PS about the time you were convicted of child molestation and what you learned from it, how it changed you, and how it made you want to become a lawyer.


If your PS is about how you want to represent NAMBLA, but at the same time you are over both 75th marks, do you think you'd be accepted? What if you're also URM and have great softs?


Somebody should seriously test this. Any volunteers?

Joymin
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:38 am

Re: Things you should almost never or never mention in your PS.

Postby Joymin » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:21 am

leeronalda wrote:
3|ink wrote:
gbpackerbacker wrote:For starters,

- your lsat prep (they know everybody has done it)

- your one month study abroad

- your screenplay

Sheesh.


LOL. I've only seen one guy try to do this and he wouldn't take my advice and remove it.


Hey that's me! :) and yeah... I'm still keeping it. I have my reasons.


I agree. If something about you is not apparent directly from your LSAT score, you might as well explain that. For example, you had a demanding job, but you balanced your priorities well. You studied all weekends for the LSAT when your colleagues would discuss on Monday mornings how they got sloshed the previous Friday night. Speaks of discipline and committment.

LockBox
Posts: 268
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:05 pm

Re: Things you should almost never or never mention in your PS.

Postby LockBox » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:40 pm

gbpackerbacker wrote:For starters,

- your lsat prep (they know everybody has done it)

- your one month study abroad

- your screenplay

Sheesh.


I was invited to do research at the abroad and so mentioned it. Can't see what might be wrong with that.
Last edited by LockBox on Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saltqjibo
Posts: 271
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:47 pm

Re: Things you should almost never or never mention in your PS.

Postby Saltqjibo » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:09 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Anything that involves use of the words "unique", "countless" or "visceral".



But I'm viscerally unique in countless ways, and I really want to get that across

User avatar
catsparka
Posts: 267
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:50 pm

Re: Things you should almost never or never mention in your PS.

Postby catsparka » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:11 pm

Not sure if someone already mentioned this, but the word "endeavor" really needs to retire from appearing on so many PSs.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Things you should almost never or never mention in your PS.

Postby northwood » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:50 pm

it has been my dream to be a lawyer.

Your school + me= perfection

My favorite thing to do is chase ambulances

WayBryson
Posts: 179
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:24 pm

Re: Things you should almost never or never mention in your PS.

Postby WayBryson » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:32 pm

Saltqjibo wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Anything that involves use of the words "unique", "countless" or "visceral".



But I'm viscerally unique in countless ways, and I really want to get that across


Perhaps include a signed 8x10 photo?

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13608
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: Things you should almost never or never mention in your PS.

Postby Flips88 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:31 pm

After seeing a few things on here, I am adding:

Anything focusing on your sorority or fraternity.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=142337&p=3780461#p3780461

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=142076

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: Things you should almost never or never mention in your PS.

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:51 pm

-5th base
-Slip 'n slides

quetzal_bird
Posts: 206
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:45 am

Re: Things you should almost never or never mention in your PS.

Postby quetzal_bird » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:36 am

I almost wrote about being the only girl in my fantasy football league but I got nervous about it and backed out

Miracle
Posts: 929
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:25 pm

Re: Things you should almost never or never mention in your PS.

Postby Miracle » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:56 am

well-hello-there wrote:To help all those people out there less fortunate than myself.
I am now prepared to excel in my legal training because of the decisions I have made in my life.
I refined multiple personal skills that continue to help me be successful.
My desire for continual learning and self improvement increased.
I experienced disappointments, mistakes, and sorrows, and learned to move forward.
This job also taught me that being able to help people solve their problems is an enjoyable skill to use.
I am looking forward to being able to help people from all walks of life solve their legal problems.
My self-motivation and desire to succeed, combined with being able to set and accomplish goals, will allow me to serve my clients effectively.
These decisions have helped to shape who I am today and provided me with a very unique toolset to succeed in law school and in a legal career.
The great opportunities in my life have prepared me for a successful career as a lawyer.
I am confident that what I learn at (Acme Law) will allow me the assist those less fortunate than myself.


I've seen at least one of these sentences here on TLS-in personal statements from people who gained admission to T14, therefore would have to say I disagree with regards to that these statements are a "no-no" for personal statements.

User avatar
well-hello-there
Posts: 320
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:38 pm

Re: Things you should almost never or never mention in your PS.

Postby well-hello-there » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:03 am

Miracle wrote:
well-hello-there wrote:To help all those people out there less fortunate than myself.
I am now prepared to excel in my legal training because of the decisions I have made in my life.
I refined multiple personal skills that continue to help me be successful.
My desire for continual learning and self improvement increased.
I experienced disappointments, mistakes, and sorrows, and learned to move forward.
This job also taught me that being able to help people solve their problems is an enjoyable skill to use.
I am looking forward to being able to help people from all walks of life solve their legal problems.
My self-motivation and desire to succeed, combined with being able to set and accomplish goals, will allow me to serve my clients effectively.
These decisions have helped to shape who I am today and provided me with a very unique toolset to succeed in law school and in a legal career.
The great opportunities in my life have prepared me for a successful career as a lawyer.
I am confident that what I learn at (Acme Law) will allow me the assist those less fortunate than myself.


I've seen at least one of these sentences here on TLS-in personal statements from people who gained admission to T14, therefore would have to say I disagree with regards to that these statements are a "no-no" for personal statements.

I yanked every single one of those from a friend's personal statement who got accepted into NYU. He scored a 177. If your score is good enough, it doesn't matter what you write.

User avatar
2Serious4Numbers
Posts: 340
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:14 pm

Re: Things you should almost never or never mention in your PS.

Postby 2Serious4Numbers » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:21 am

The fact that you've seen Liar Liar like a hundred million times and want to emmulate Jim careys character. Especially the banging your boss to make partner part

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Things you should almost never or never mention in your PS.

Postby 3|ink » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:25 am

Avoid describing your hardships directly.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Things you should almost never or never mention in your PS.

Postby Barbie » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:04 pm

well-hello-there wrote:
Miracle wrote:
well-hello-there wrote:To help all those people out there less fortunate than myself.
I am now prepared to excel in my legal training because of the decisions I have made in my life.
I refined multiple personal skills that continue to help me be successful.
My desire for continual learning and self improvement increased.
I experienced disappointments, mistakes, and sorrows, and learned to move forward.
This job also taught me that being able to help people solve their problems is an enjoyable skill to use.
I am looking forward to being able to help people from all walks of life solve their legal problems.
My self-motivation and desire to succeed, combined with being able to set and accomplish goals, will allow me to serve my clients effectively.
These decisions have helped to shape who I am today and provided me with a very unique toolset to succeed in law school and in a legal career.
The great opportunities in my life have prepared me for a successful career as a lawyer.
I am confident that what I learn at (Acme Law) will allow me the assist those less fortunate than myself.


I've seen at least one of these sentences here on TLS-in personal statements from people who gained admission to T14, therefore would have to say I disagree with regards to that these statements are a "no-no" for personal statements.

I yanked every single one of those from a friend's personal statement who got accepted into NYU. He scored a 177. If your score is good enough, it doesn't matter what you write.



I don't have any of these exact phrases, but one of the sentences in my statement would probably fit in that group. I've also been accepted to schools that numbers wise I shouldn't have-- who have admitted my PS was a driving force behind the acceptances. I'm also a writing major (lols I know...) and I think ONE sentence that summarizes the point youre conveying and ties it into your desire to attend LS is not really a fail. Avoiding cliches is important, but using one of these won't make your PS sound like a motivational speech, IMO

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13608
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: Things you should almost never or never mention in your PS.

Postby Flips88 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:09 pm

2Serious4Numbers wrote:The fact that you've seen Liar Liar like a hundred million times and want to emmulate Jim careys character. Especially the banging your boss to make partner part


The goddamn pen is blue!

cayerjt
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 2:37 pm

Re: Things you should almost never or never mention in your PS.

Postby cayerjt » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:23 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:Your boyfriend or girlfriend. Every time I see it, it makes me cringe.


hahahaha just hope the adcom is not single. NOTHING makes a single person more bitter than sickening thoughts of people happy together. :D

User avatar
lolschool2011
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:14 pm

Re: Things you should almost never or never mention in your PS.

Postby lolschool2011 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:26 pm

catsparka wrote:
WayBryson wrote:
The Gentleman wrote:"I'm applying to law school because it is the only legitimate career option for someone with a degree in 19th Century Philosophy"

NOTE: My major was not 19th Century Philosophy.


I DID major in 19th Century Philosophy and my Yale 250 is on Nietzsche :shock:


Dammit, I was going to do that. Oh well, Schopenhauer it is, then.


I'm going with David Hume - ED'ing to Princeton Law. Done.

User avatar
Jader
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: Things you should almost never or never mention in your PS.

Postby Jader » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:41 pm

masochist wrote:Anything that begins in media res unless the entire PS is going to be written as a Greek tragedy complete with parts for the chorus.

Example:

Applicant: It was 3AM when I encountered the orphan begging on the streets of Cairo. I then realized my dream was to use my law degree to save children in Africa.

Chorus (singing): She is naïve … but attractive. Her application is viewed auspiciously by the Gods.


holy shit I want to do this so bad




Return to “Law School Personal Statements”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.