Things you should almost never or never mention in your PS. Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
plenipotentiary

Silver

Re: Things you should almost never or never mention in your PS.

Post by plenipotentiary » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:57 pm

masochist wrote:Anything that begins in media res unless the entire PS is going to be written as a Greek tragedy complete with parts for the chorus.

Example:

Applicant: It was 3AM when I encountered the orphan begging on the streets of Cairo. I then realized my dream was to use my law degree to save children in Africa.

Chorus (singing): She is naïve … but attractive. Her application is viewed auspiciously by the Gods.
I love you.

kelc213

New

Post by kelc213 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:30 pm

"I want to go to law school because my family/friends/dog/neighbor/2nd grade teacher think I argue too much."

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:01 am

i was 15 when i first killed a man in cold blood.

OMG YOU KILLED KENNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

first I was afraid, then I was petrified

michael jackson is my hero because........

I drive a white bronco

I want to go to Law school because i live in Texas, and I want to make sure the guys Chuck Norris arrests get sent away to jail forever. No one who makes chuck norris get angry deserves to spend a day out of jail.

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:43 am

northwood wrote:i was 15 when i first killed a man in cold blood.

OMG YOU KILLED KENNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

first I was afraid, then I was petrified

michael jackson is my hero because........

I drive a white bronco

I want to go to Law school because i live in Texas, and I want to make sure the guys Chuck Norris arrests get sent away to jail forever. No one who makes chuck norris get angry deserves to spend a day out of jail.
Auto-admit

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:46 am

Don't write a PS about the time you were convicted of child molestation and what you learned from it, how it changed you, and how it made you want to become a lawyer.

edit: Put it in an addendum!
Last edited by Adjudicator on Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

2011Law

Silver

Post by 2011Law » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:54 am

Adjudicator wrote:Don't write a PS about the time you were convicted of child molestation and what you learned from it, how it changed you, and how it made you want to become a lawyer.
If your PS is about how you want to represent NAMBLA, but at the same time you are over both 75th marks, do you think you'd be accepted? What if you're also URM and have great softs?

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:56 am

2011Law wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:Don't write a PS about the time you were convicted of child molestation and what you learned from it, how it changed you, and how it made you want to become a lawyer.
If your PS is about how you want to represent NAMBLA, but at the same time you are over both 75th marks, do you think you'd be accepted? What if you're also URM and have great softs?
Somebody should seriously test this. Any volunteers?

Joymin

New

Post by Joymin » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:21 am

leeronalda wrote:
3|ink wrote:
gbpackerbacker wrote:For starters,

- your lsat prep (they know everybody has done it)

- your one month study abroad

- your screenplay

Sheesh.
LOL. I've only seen one guy try to do this and he wouldn't take my advice and remove it.
Hey that's me! :) and yeah... I'm still keeping it. I have my reasons.
I agree. If something about you is not apparent directly from your LSAT score, you might as well explain that. For example, you had a demanding job, but you balanced your priorities well. You studied all weekends for the LSAT when your colleagues would discuss on Monday mornings how they got sloshed the previous Friday night. Speaks of discipline and committment.

LockBox

Bronze

Post by LockBox » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:40 pm

gbpackerbacker wrote:For starters,

- your lsat prep (they know everybody has done it)

- your one month study abroad

- your screenplay

Sheesh.
I was invited to do research at the abroad and so mentioned it. Can't see what might be wrong with that.
Last edited by LockBox on Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Saltqjibo

Bronze

Post by Saltqjibo » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:09 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Anything that involves use of the words "unique", "countless" or "visceral".

But I'm viscerally unique in countless ways, and I really want to get that across

catsparka

Bronze

Post by catsparka » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:11 pm

Not sure if someone already mentioned this, but the word "endeavor" really needs to retire from appearing on so many PSs.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:50 pm

it has been my dream to be a lawyer.

Your school + me= perfection

My favorite thing to do is chase ambulances

WayBryson

Bronze

Post by WayBryson » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:32 pm

Saltqjibo wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Anything that involves use of the words "unique", "countless" or "visceral".

But I'm viscerally unique in countless ways, and I really want to get that across
Perhaps include a signed 8x10 photo?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:31 pm

After seeing a few things on here, I am adding:

Anything focusing on your sorority or fraternity.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1#p3780461

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 8&t=142076

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:51 pm

-5th base
-Slip 'n slides

quetzal_bird

Bronze

Post by quetzal_bird » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:36 am

I almost wrote about being the only girl in my fantasy football league but I got nervous about it and backed out

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:56 am

well-hello-there wrote:To help all those people out there less fortunate than myself.
I am now prepared to excel in my legal training because of the decisions I have made in my life.
I refined multiple personal skills that continue to help me be successful.
My desire for continual learning and self improvement increased.
I experienced disappointments, mistakes, and sorrows, and learned to move forward.
This job also taught me that being able to help people solve their problems is an enjoyable skill to use.
I am looking forward to being able to help people from all walks of life solve their legal problems.
My self-motivation and desire to succeed, combined with being able to set and accomplish goals, will allow me to serve my clients effectively.
These decisions have helped to shape who I am today and provided me with a very unique toolset to succeed in law school and in a legal career.
The great opportunities in my life have prepared me for a successful career as a lawyer.
I am confident that what I learn at (Acme Law) will allow me the assist those less fortunate than myself.
I've seen at least one of these sentences here on TLS-in personal statements from people who gained admission to T14, therefore would have to say I disagree with regards to that these statements are a "no-no" for personal statements.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

well-hello-there

Bronze

Post by well-hello-there » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:03 am

Miracle wrote:
well-hello-there wrote:To help all those people out there less fortunate than myself.
I am now prepared to excel in my legal training because of the decisions I have made in my life.
I experienced disappointments, mistakes, and sorrows, and learned to move forward.
This job also taught me that being able to help people solve their problems is an enjoyable skill to use.
I am looking forward to being able to help people from all walks of life solve their legal problems.
My self-motivation and desire to succeed, combined with being able to set and accomplish goals, will allow me to serve my clients effectively.
These decisions have helped to shape who I am today and provided me with a very unique toolset to succeed in law school and in a legal career.
The great opportunities in my life have prepared me for a successful career as a lawyer.
I am confident that what I learn at (Acme Law) will allow me the assist those less fortunate than myself.
I've seen at least one of these sentences here on TLS-in personal statements from people who gained admission to T14, therefore would have to say I disagree with regards to that these statements are a "no-no" for personal statements.
I yanked every single one of those from a friend's personal statement who got accepted into NYU. He scored a 177. If your score is good enough, it doesn't matter what you write.

2Serious4Numbers

Bronze

Post by 2Serious4Numbers » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:21 am

The fact that you've seen Liar Liar like a hundred million times and want to emmulate Jim careys character. Especially the banging your boss to make partner part

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:25 am

Avoid describing your hardships directly.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:04 pm

well-hello-there wrote:
Miracle wrote:
I yanked every single one of those from a friend's personal statement who got accepted into NYU. He scored a 177. If your score is good enough, it doesn't matter what you write.

I don't have any of these exact phrases, but one of the sentences in my statement would probably fit in that group. I've also been accepted to schools that numbers wise I shouldn't have-- who have admitted my PS was a driving force behind the acceptances. I'm also a writing major (lols I know...) and I think ONE sentence that summarizes the point youre conveying and ties it into your desire to attend LS is not really a fail. Avoiding cliches is important, but using one of these won't make your PS sound like a motivational speech, IMO

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:09 pm

2Serious4Numbers wrote:The fact that you've seen Liar Liar like a hundred million times and want to emmulate Jim careys character. Especially the banging your boss to make partner part
The goddamn pen is blue!

cayerjt

New

Post by cayerjt » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:23 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:Your boyfriend or girlfriend. Every time I see it, it makes me cringe.
hahahaha just hope the adcom is not single. NOTHING makes a single person more bitter than sickening thoughts of people happy together. :D

lolschool2011

Bronze

Post by lolschool2011 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:26 pm

catsparka wrote:
WayBryson wrote:
The Gentleman wrote:"I'm applying to law school because it is the only legitimate career option for someone with a degree in 19th Century Philosophy"

NOTE: My major was not 19th Century Philosophy.
I DID major in 19th Century Philosophy and my Yale 250 is on Nietzsche :shock:
Dammit, I was going to do that. Oh well, Schopenhauer it is, then.
I'm going with David Hume - ED'ing to Princeton Law. Done.

Jader

New

Post by Jader » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:41 pm

masochist wrote:Anything that begins in media res unless the entire PS is going to be written as a Greek tragedy complete with parts for the chorus.

Example:

Applicant: It was 3AM when I encountered the orphan begging on the streets of Cairo. I then realized my dream was to use my law degree to save children in Africa.

Chorus (singing): She is naïve … but attractive. Her application is viewed auspiciously by the Gods.
holy shit I want to do this so bad

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”