Diversity Statement - DS - Homeschooling - rough draft

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
novab

Diversity Statement - DS - Homeschooling - rough draft

Postby novab » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:39 pm

Critiques please :) :) be brutal. I am still working on the flow and making it sound better, I just want some input on content and if you think my "diversity" is really a diversity...

SEE BELOW FOR UPDATE
Last edited by novab on Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

novab

Re: Diversity Statement - DS - Homeschooling - rough draft

Postby novab » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:52 am

bump

anyone?

novab

Re: Diversity Statement - DS - Homeschooling - rough draft

Postby novab » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:12 pm

Okay bump again - does anyone have any comments? even if its just a few words...here is my update. I added a story to the beginning which is true and I think it makes the DS more interesting...PM me your DS or PS if you want to trade :) i dont mind reviewing!

While on the playground at the local school during my brother’s little league game, a boy a year or two older than me started talking to me.

“So what grade are you in?
“Fifth.”
“Cool I’m in seventh and go to Round Valley. So you go to Patrick McGharen?”
“No, I’m home-schooled.”

At this comment, the boy got this confused look on his face.

“Home-schooled? So…are you stupid or a genius?”
“I’m not either, I’m normal I guess.”
“Normal kids aren’t home-schooled. You obviously are not a genius so you must be dumb. Answer this - what’s the square root of 81?”
“Um, it’s 9.”

Although the words automatically came out of my mouth, I was stunned that I was being questioned like this and was also a little embarrassed. My parents told me that some people may be critical of home-schooling and may ask questions about it, but up until that point, I had never been judged in such a negative manner by a stranger.

“Okay okay, you got that right – who is the 45th president of the United States?”
“Well there is no forty fifth president – there have only been forty two”
“Yes there is! It’s Bill Clinton. Who is our president right now, duh!”

I stared at him for a minute and smiled. Unfortunately for him, in his attempt to tease me, he asked me a question on a topic that I loved. There was no way for him to know that my placemat at home had all of the presidents (as well as vice presidents, terms in office, wives, and birth and death dates) on it. There was also no way for him to know that I had the entire placemat memorized. I looked at him and replied that Bill Clinton is indeed the forty second and went on to list all forty two presidents in order. After I was finished, I walked away. Even at the age of ten, I realized that I was just judged based upon the educational choice my parents made for my family. It did not seem fair because I enjoyed being home-schooled and I did not see my situation as strange.

Even to this day, when people find out that I was home-schooled from the fifth grade through twelfth, I can always count on receiving a comment regarding how I do not “act” like I was home-schooled. Although there are a vast number of families that home-school their children, most individuals I have met assume that home-schooled individuals act a certain way based on what they see and hear in the media. My parents did not make the decision to home-school me and my siblings because of religious or political reasons – which tends to be a major assumption regarding home-schooling. They were actually unhappy with the quality of the education the local school district offered and thought that home-schooling would be a good fit for the family. From the start, many family members were very critical of this decision and I was told by many of them that if I continued to be home-schooled, I would never graduate from high-school, let alone go to college. Even with the negativity, I loved being home-schooled and I made it my goal to prove all of the critics wrong by graduating with a high-school diploma and going to college.

Home-schooling taught me how to manage my time and my priorities as well as how to be proactive. For high-school, I would receive (from my correspondence school) the books, assignments, tests and projects for the year without a lesson plan. It would be up to me to review everything and come up with my own plan for completing the school year. While the pressure to plan out my year would be stressful, it also gave me great flexibility to have a job and do other things that I enjoyed. My family was able to spend many school days visiting amazing art museums, taking trips to historical cities and simply enjoying time outside when it was beautiful out.

I will also be the first to admit that home-schooling is not for everyone in every situation. Success in any type of schooling depends on many factors including family, economic and personal issues. Home-schooling has taught me life skills like time management, flexibility and organization, but more importantly, it has taught me to be accepting of many ways people can choose to live their lives and to embrace and encourage different lifestyles. I am a well rounded, spontaneous and flexible person and I feel that this is due in part to the fact that I was home-schooled. My educational background is very different from the typical student and I feel as though these experiences I gained through home-schooling will give me the ability to enhance the ________________ law school community.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”