Hopefully getting close to my final draft!

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
kroger03

Hopefully getting close to my final draft!

Postby kroger03 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:36 am

Man it was tough getting it down to just under two pages! Let me know of any grammatical or spelling errors in it, as well as stylistic and any other issues you can find. Thanks!!

Before my first semester of college, my parents told me that this was the time of my life to try something new and outside of my comfort zone. My professors affirmed this by urging us to do something unfamiliar and foreign to find out who we really were. I took their advice when I applied for an internship with the Canadian Parliament. I developed an interest for the law in Canada, and made the decision to attend law school.
When Edward Leavy, an immigration lawyer, posted a position for some help on the weekends for his firm, I figured that it would offer great exposure to the field of immigration law, as well as law in general. I learned what it was like to be an immigration lawyer. I was fascinated with the intricacies of the application process and requirements, and during the week I pored over the different applications he had lent me. Mr. Leavy realized the extent of the work I had put into the job on my own time, and after working just two weeks with him, he decided to assign me the task of starting a business that would recruit foreign doctors from residency programs across the country and place them in hospitals that desperately needed help.
As a political science major, I never imagined that I would be in charge of starting a business. It seemed overwhelming on top of attending school full-time and working thirty hours for my part-time job during the week. I began by extensively researching the laws that surrounded granting a foreign health care professional a visa in the years following medical residency. Not only did I enjoy studying the law surrounding this particular aspect of immigration law, I found that it comforted me in a time of confusion. After feeling comfortable with the objective of the business, I decided to take on what seemed to be the most daunting aspect of my assignment – establishing a corporation.
This step was difficult because I had no previous experience doing anything related to starting a business. Mr. Leavy and I began to have conflicting schedules, which forced me to work completely independent of outside help and counsel. I studied for hours about the difference between the types of corporations that could be formed, and decided that an LLC would best suit the needs of our particular situation. Although the process seemed difficult at first, I found that researching the topic extensively and really understanding how it worked made it possible to achieve my goal.
After the business had been established, I had to manage every aspect of its budget. Mr. Leavy allocated modest funds designed to account for startup and operating costs for one year. I decided to utilize the budget to allow for maximum exposure of the business to help it survive longer than a year. To legitimize the small business, I took the initiative to design and publish a webpage, established an email system under our domain name, and set up a phone line dedicated to the business. It is small details like this that I believe make our business more valid in the eyes of our potential clientele.
When I entered college, I planned on meeting new people and trying new things, but I did not believe that I would start a business. I have to admit that I was unsure of the future of the business, but I believe that my hard word and determination established it and has helped it survive for the past year. I will take this same spirit of hard work and determination into law school to help me succeed, and eventually reach my goal of becoming a lawyer. After all of the advice received from my parents and teachers in the past, it seems that this last piece of advice I received has been the most valuable.

kroger03

Re: Hopefully getting close to my final draft!

Postby kroger03 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:40 am

I could really use some feedback so I'm bumping...

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”