What do schools want to hear about themselves?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
gmreplay
Posts: 171
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 6:47 pm

What do schools want to hear about themselves?

Postby gmreplay » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:15 pm

I'm targeting my current PS for Michigan; what kind of things do they want you to identify about them? If I am talking about injustice, what can I say about them that will let them know why they are the perfect school for me? I think it would be rather difficult to compare the merits of a particular school with others if you've attended one of them, much less just being an applicant.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: What do schools want to hear about themselves?

Postby cinephile » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:23 pm

Why would they be a good fit for you? Do they have certain clinics/externships/dual degree programs/study abroad programs that would help you attain your goals and battle injustice? I would mention something that's specific to Michigan in my statement.

gmreplay
Posts: 171
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 6:47 pm

Re: What do schools want to hear about themselves?

Postby gmreplay » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:34 pm

cinephile wrote:Why would they be a good fit for you? Do they have certain clinics/externships/dual degree programs/study abroad programs that would help you attain your goals and battle injustice? I would mention something that's specific to Michigan in my statement.


I guess I'm asking if what they want to hear is stuff I can find on their school page under their "prospective students" section, or is this something I'm going to need to spent a few hours googling to find out what they're particularly good at, and what their professors specialize in, etc.

thisguy456
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:42 am

Re: What do schools want to hear about themselves?

Postby thisguy456 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:50 pm

gmreplay wrote:
cinephile wrote:Why would they be a good fit for you? Do they have certain clinics/externships/dual degree programs/study abroad programs that would help you attain your goals and battle injustice? I would mention something that's specific to Michigan in my statement.


I guess I'm asking if what they want to hear is stuff I can find on their school page under their "prospective students" section, or is this something I'm going to need to spent a few hours googling to find out what they're particularly good at, and what their professors specialize in, etc.


Just spend the few hours...it's your application, man.

gmreplay
Posts: 171
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 6:47 pm

Re: What do schools want to hear about themselves?

Postby gmreplay » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:03 pm

thisguy456 wrote:
gmreplay wrote:
cinephile wrote:Why would they be a good fit for you? Do they have certain clinics/externships/dual degree programs/study abroad programs that would help you attain your goals and battle injustice? I would mention something that's specific to Michigan in my statement.


I guess I'm asking if what they want to hear is stuff I can find on their school page under their "prospective students" section, or is this something I'm going to need to spent a few hours googling to find out what they're particularly good at, and what their professors specialize in, etc.


Just spend the few hours...it's your application, man.


I'm not lamenting the hours. If a school really wants to see "and 44 of your 2009 graduates are currently in public service, more than any other top tier university" I will do so. I'm just asking if that's what they want.




Return to “Law School Personal Statements”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.