Using a Quote Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )

Should I use a non-famous, personally meaninful quote?

Sure, use the quote.
64%
Heck no!
36%

Total votes: 11

krad

Gold

Using a Quote

Post by krad » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:38 am

I know there are a few threads on this point, so sorry for annoying anyone with the redundancy, but I wanted to get some fresh opinions:

I am looking at using a quote in my PS. It is not famous (student to school website) and it relates almost perfectly to a situation around which I've been drafting my PS (turning down a funded PhD oppty, the environment, etc). I have seen a number of no-no's on using a quote. Does this apply primarily to famous quotes, situations in which it is obvious that the quote does not have much meaning to an applicant, it was misunderstood, etc. OR does this apply to all quote usage in general? I have seen mixed reviews and thought it was worth a post... Thanks in advance for any thoughts/opinions!!

plenipotentiary

Silver

Re: Using a Quote

Post by plenipotentiary » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:44 am

No. No. No. No. You only have a few pages to introduce yourself and demonstrate your writing ability. Don't waste that space with other people's words.

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:52 am

plenipotentiary wrote:No. No. No. No. You only have a few pages to introduce yourself and demonstrate your writing ability. Don't waste that space with other people's words.
Good point, thank you!

I have my PS structured without the quote, so that's probably how it will stay, but it came up in my NU interview and the interviewer loved it so I wasn't sure if it was worth a mention. I guess an hour long interview leaves a lot more room for discussing a quote than a 2 page PS.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:57 am

The only quotes in PS's I've seen that have worked have been

1) From a parent or other close family member that the PS has focused on

2) Embedded into the paragraphs, not set aside at the top of the document

And that's only two or three that I can think of. Generally, quotes are bad, but when you're writing your PS about how your father's premature death formed the person you are, a particularly touching quote from dad can work.

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:58 am

plenipotentiary wrote:No. No. No. No. You only have a few pages to introduce yourself and demonstrate your writing ability. Don't waste that space with other people's words.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

plenipotentiary

Silver

Post by plenipotentiary » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:03 pm

krad wrote:I have my PS structured without the quote, so that's probably how it will stay, but it came up in my NU interview and the interviewer loved it so I wasn't sure if it was worth a mention. I guess an hour long interview leaves a lot more room for discussing a quote than a 2 page PS.
Correct. I've heard (well, read) that the PS is comparable to a ten minute interview.

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:05 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:
krad wrote:I have my PS structured without the quote, so that's probably how it will stay, but it came up in my NU interview and the interviewer loved it so I wasn't sure if it was worth a mention. I guess an hour long interview leaves a lot more room for discussing a quote than a 2 page PS.
Correct. I've heard (well, read) that the PS is comparable to a ten minute interview.
Interesting factoid!

I'll just scrap the quote idea, it's probably strong enough without it anyways (one can only hope!).

I appreciate all the advice guys!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”