How do you start a "why x" statement

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
gin

How do you start a "why x" statement

Postby gin » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:54 am

One of my top schools is asking why we want to go to that school on an optional statement. I know why I want to there but I'm having trouble putting it into a paragraph. I'm don't want it to sound like it is a sure thing that I would go there (which it is unless lighting strikes). Any suggestions?
It's starting to feel like I'm abusing this forum but I'm in need of a lot of help

St.Remy

Re: How do you start a "why x" statement

Postby St.Remy » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:29 am

gin wrote:I'm don't want it to sound like it is a sure thing that I would go there (which it is unless lighting strikes).

I don't know what this means. Are you saying that you for sure want to go there, but don't want to communicate that in your "Why X" statement? The whole point of writing a "Why X" is to convince the school that they are your #1 choice.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:59 am

Seriously. As long as you don't say, "I swear on Voldemort's grave that I will go to your school if you admit me," you're not bound to anything.

krad

Postby krad » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:00 pm

I agree with the two posters above. Convince them that they're your top school, ESPECIALLY if they are (!!). Regardless, you're not locked into anything and it may just tip the scale in your favor for them to see that you're very committed (whether or not you are that committed). They know that you could very well say no.

I plan to write a Why X statement for my #1 safety school (option to stay in my current state) to convince them that I love their school and would very likely go there. Because, for all I know, at the end of my cycle I may decide to go there even though it is not my #1 choice by any means. Maybe this statement would help me get more money... It will also help me avoid the chance that the school performs yield protection on my a$$ (whether or not this actually occurs).

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:04 pm

gin wrote:One of my top schools is asking why we want to go to that school on an optional statement. I know why I want to there but I'm having trouble putting it into a paragraph. I'm don't want it to sound like it is a sure thing that I would go there (which it is unless lighting strikes). Any suggestions?
It's starting to feel like I'm abusing this forum but I'm in need of a lot of help

Do you stand to benefit financially from going there? Is it a public school? I'd say something like 'This school has an excellent debt-to-placement ratio'. I know several attorneys who are still paying off their law school debt.

Don't take my word for this. I have a feeling others might disagree. I just get the feeling that admissions people would appreciate some refreshing honesty after reading baloney all day.

gin

Postby gin » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:50 pm

eit wrote:Seriously. As long as you don't say, "I swear on Voldemort's grave that I will go to your school if you admit me," you're not bound to anything.

well. there goes that sentence. lord voldemort is goin to be disappointed
3|ink wrote:
gin wrote:One of my top schools is asking why we want to go to that school on an optional statement. I know why I want to there but I'm having trouble putting it into a paragraph. I'm don't want it to sound like it is a sure thing that I would go there (which it is unless lighting strikes). Any suggestions?

Do you stand to benefit financially from going there? Is it a public school? I'd say something like 'This school has an excellent debt-to-placement ratio'. I know several attorneys who are still paying off their law school debt.

Don't take my word for this. I have a feeling others might disagree. I just get the feeling that admissions people would appreciate some refreshing honesty after reading baloney all day.

Even though it is a public school, the over all cost is greater than some of the private school. My biggest concer of it sounding like I will go there if they accept me is that they might not offer me as much $$

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:53 pm

Leave it more ambiguous and write "you know who's grave." Safest option by far.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:04 pm

Kabuo wrote:Leave it more ambiguous and write "you know who's grave." Safest option by far.

You really think adcomm's are gonna respect an applicant that can't say Voldemort's name? VOLDEMORT!

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:07 pm

3|ink wrote: I'd say something like 'This school has an excellent debt-to-placement ratio'.

i can't imagine this going over well, especially not with, say, Dean Z at Mich

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”