GPA Addendum -- Illness Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
ChemistryMatters

New

GPA Addendum -- Illness

Post by ChemistryMatters » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:07 pm

I had a hell of a lot going on when I was an undergrad...Is this too long? Look ok? Thanks. PM me if you want me to give yours a look.

Following the diagnosis of my father with a serious heart condition the summer before my senior year of high school, and the subsequent move from European Country to City, US State for his medical treatment, I began to experience symptoms of XX. In September 2000, during my freshman year of college, I was diagnosed with XX. I faced a number of challenges during my childhood and young adulthood that are believed to have contributed to the development of my condition. I believe these challenges, in addition to the XX condition, lead to my low 3.0 UPGA.

My mother was diagnosed with Systemic lupus erythematosus and clinical depression when I was child. The stress of my father’s illness caused the lupus to flare frequently. Additionally, my father was diagnosed with XX disorder when I was fifteen years old. As an only child and without dependable extended family, the combination of their multiple medical conditions necessitated my taking on a great deal of responsibility as I became an adult.

During my years as an undergraduate I lived with my parents and assisted them with household chores, in dealing with their medical conditions (transportation to doctor’s visits, picking up prescriptions, etc.) and insurance and disability benefits paperwork, all while maintaining employment in order to contribute financially to the household. I continued to contribute financially until I was 23 years of age.

My acceptance to and success at XX University’s Graduate XX program, ranked in the top ten nationally, was the result of a great deal of perseverance to succeed in this challenging field. I believe this is more representative of my actual ability and likelihood to meet the challenges of a career in patent law.

Supporting documentation can be provided upon request.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”