Subject Matter Question

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Cmart050

Subject Matter Question

Postby Cmart050 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:42 am

Hello, I'm new to TLS, and would appreciate the help...

I combed through the personal statement section of TLS and as many threads here as I could but did not find anything on this, so hopefully you can offer some advice. My undergrad schools offer 3 forgiveness courses which I utilized for the botching of my freshmen year (F, 2 D's). According to my school I had a 3.2 cumulative GPA because of the forgiveness policy, but upon sending my transcripts to LSAC they tossed out what I thought my GPA was a counted everything to make it a 2.87. My question is if it is worth pointing out in my personal statement that I took classes over/had a much higher GPA in my degree courses (3.5)/should I say forget it. For what its worth, I earned a 166 on my LSAT. Thanks for the help!

patrickd139

Re: Subject Matter Question

Postby patrickd139 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:16 am

1) I thought this was a subject matter jurisdiction question. Bummer.

2) Don't put that in your PS, but you might consider writing an addendum. There's a huge difference between a 3.2 and a 2.87. I have no idea which schools you're considering, but have you graduated yet? I might take a few more classes and defer your application to raise your UGPA. It'd be a shame to devalue a reasonably good LSAT score if you can avoid it.

Cmart050

Re: Subject Matter Question

Postby Cmart050 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:26 am

patrickd139 wrote:1) I thought this was a subject matter jurisdiction question. Bummer.

2) Don't put that in your PS, but you might consider writing an addendum. There's a huge difference between a 3.2 and a 2.87. I have no idea which schools you're considering, but have you graduated yet? I might take a few more classes and defer your application to raise your UGPA. It'd be a shame to devalue a reasonably good LSAT score if you can avoid it.

Sorry for the disappointment :/

The highest school I am looking at is UF (I'm from South Florida) so I'm not trying to set the world on fire, just get into a reasonable tier 2 school (is there a mediocre-law-schools.com?) I've already got 111 credits and graduate in the spring due to my switching majors, and if I get all A's the rest of the way I raise it to a 3.0 but that will be at the end of the school year. Thank you for your help.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”