Idea for personal statement. Worth anything?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Bearlegdairy

Idea for personal statement. Worth anything?

Postby Bearlegdairy » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:12 am

As I mentioned in my last
Last edited by Bearlegdairy on Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1Levening2013

Re: Idea for personal statement. Worth anything?

Postby 1Levening2013 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:17 am

100% keep searching, definitely do not write about this. you definitely do not want to talk about law directly in your PS, and the absolute last thing you want to do is try to interpret/give your spin on what the law means.

ODBCP

Postby ODBCP » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:22 am

Find something from undergraduate study or work experience. I doubt that any adcomm is going to give a shit about the conclusions you reached 4+ years ago in a high school history class, about a president from the mid-19th century.

Maybe there is a specific environmental law issue that you feel strongly about for a certain reason? Make yourself and your PS more relevant by drawing from something more contemporary and more recent in your life.

Bearlegdairy

Postby Bearlegdairy » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:26 am

A whole bunch of people told me
Last edited by Bearlegdairy on Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1Levening2013

Postby 1Levening2013 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:00 am

i think you really need to expand your horizons a bit--i think there's likely a lot in your life outside of politics. your whole PS can be about one comment made to you by a passerby in the street if you spin it correctly. i think you're a little closed off as to what you can mold into an effective PS

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:09 am

Bearlegdairy wrote:Basically my whole life is centered around politics and I can't write about it and it's very difficult to find a decent topic.

You can write about politics, but the focus should be on you and not the politics themselves. Don't focus on your position, agenda or any specific law. Focus on how your involvement changed you and what it means to you. The whole idea of a personal statement is so that an adcomm can get an idea of what you're like as a person. If you use it to discuss an issue or political agenda, it just looks like you're missing the point.

Saltqjibo

Postby Saltqjibo » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:27 pm

If you pick this topic you are going to have to do it really well or else you will come off like an idiot. That being said, I actually don't think its that bad a topic.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:11 am

paratactical wrote:
Bearlegdairy wrote:Basically my whole life is centered around politics and I can't write about it and it's very difficult to find a decent topic.

You can write about politics, but the focus should be on you and not the politics themselves. Don't focus on your position, agenda or any specific law. Focus on how your involvement changed you and what it means to you. The whole idea of a personal statement is so that an adcomm can get an idea of what you're like as a person. If you use it to discuss an issue or political agenda, it just looks like you're missing the point.

This.

How, specifically, have you indulged your interest in politics? How do you include it in your life? Have you worked for a campaign ("politics is my hobby, like some people play soccer, work on their cars or scrapbook"), do you write your own commentary ("Inspired by Nate Silver adapting his passion for baseball statistics to predicting election outcomes, I began writing long, detailed emails to my friends, which eventually turned into my blog 'PoliWonker.net'"), or do you just watch a lot of CNN at night and read the Washington Post every morning ("Politics have defined my daily routine since I was in high school, and I suspect I will always identify E.J. Dionne's column with the smell of fresh toast and coffee.")?

You could mention the Andrew Jackson thing briefly to support your claim that you are able to absorb and analyze current politics logically and impartially. But focusing entirely on something you learned in high school kinda makes it sound as though you haven't learned anything interesting since.

I'd stay away from talking about recognizing the unconstitutionality of anything...the adcomms know far more than you do about all aspects of the law and there's a good chance you'll look callow and silly. You wouldn't explain a fastball grip to a pro baseball player, would you?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”